Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:24:14 AM

Author Topic: using an inverter to control speed  (Read 1745 times)

using an inverter to control speed
« on: January 06, 2015, 12:34:17 PM »
Hi guys--
I have had an omron 3G3MX2 multi- function compact inverter connected to my lathe-
the intention being for it to control the speed for using constant surface speed. It was
connected by an expert who is now on leave

During modifications to the limit switches and wiring  i somehow lost the plot with the
controller and now i cant get it back to function again.
( all the service guys are on leave so i am stymied)

My problem is that i dont know how to set the inverter up in the first place. the operating
manual is written in electronic jargon which means nothing to me.
I there somewhere or can someone please tell me how one goes about programming this little
monster.
I seem to think that you have to switch it on somehow then select a mode or something
and then put in some sort of code that the thing will understand.
If someone could give me the sequence of programming it i am sure i will master it
regards
fred
think of the trees-- use both sides of the computer paper
Re: using an inverter to control speed
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 04:19:08 PM »
Its more complicated than simply "switching it on and selecting mode or something". If you have the operation manual and can't understand it then setting it up is way beyond your ability level. VFD's have to be setup for line voltage, frequency, motor amps, HP, rpm, rotation, min & max speeds, accel/deaccl, input and speed control methods, etc. to name a few. Then properly wiring the drive is a whole another issue. All of this info you didn't mention so unless someone has a crystal ball it's impossible to know.     

Setting up a VFD incorrectly can result in a destroyed drive, equipment damage and/or someone getting hurt or killed. I do this for a living and have seen my share of mangled equipment, snapped shafts, and blown up drives because someone "thought" they knew how to program a drive. It should not be done by someone that doesn't have knowledge of the equipment. My advise is to wait until your service people are back at work or hire someone to set it up for you.  

« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 04:25:18 PM by geh7552 »