Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:33:42 PM

Author Topic: USB to Ethernet adapter for ESS Smoothstepper?  (Read 6992 times)

Offline Bfive

•  13 13
    • View Profile
USB to Ethernet adapter for ESS Smoothstepper?
« on: December 02, 2014, 01:58:43 PM »
Would an USB to Ethernet adapter work? Many new laptops don't have built-in ethernet ports, so I'm wondering if a USB to ethernet adapter would work. This still manages to avoid the grounding, noise issues right? Otherwise I could use a USB smoothstepper, but it has a reputation of being less reliable.

Thanks!

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
Re: USB to Ethernet adapter for ESS Smoothstepper?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 01:43:12 PM »
A USB<->Ethernet adapter should work IF it is a good name brand unit. There are all sorts of different quality levels out there so read a lot of reviews to see if it looks llike it will work for your OS.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 07:28:35 PM »
Personally I've not had good luck with any USB-Ethernet adapters. They all seem problematic in one form or another. Remember any device added is another place for a problem to show up. If you haven't already purchased a USB smooth stepper... go with the Ethernet SS. Its easy to setup, less prone to noise interference and not limited to cable length (1500ft). 

Offline JTW

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 06:40:34 PM »
I just tried this and had no luck at all. Total fail.
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 07:20:14 PM »
Ethernet is limited to 100M between devices unless you are using fiber.  Had a customer string together five switches to get from their office to a waste treatment plant.  One lightning strike cleared the whole lot!