Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:46:07 AM

Author Topic: G76 Lathe Theading Problem  (Read 20793 times)

Re: G76 Lathe Theading Problem
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2016, 09:04:45 AM »
If you can't find any digital anomalies, did you check everything mechanical ?
Loose couplings/pulleys/bearings ?
Does it perform all other turning operations correctly ?

Another thing .. after it runs a messed up thread, will it return to the exact 0,0 position if commanded ?
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2016, 12:20:25 PM »
If you can't find any digital anomalies, did you check everything mechanical ?
Loose couplings/pulleys/bearings ?
Does it perform all other turning operations correctly ?

Another thing .. after it runs a messed up thread, will it return to the exact 0,0 position if commanded ?

Yes, all mechanical parts are ok.  It runs parts without threads just fine.  It makes the first pass of the thread just fine.  Each subsequent pass is made at the maximum Z travel velocity of the machine.  It makes the thread just fine, only with a pitch that is way off.  This is precisely the same behavior as a non-paid license.
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2016, 12:24:29 PM »
Double (triple) check that the .lic file is in the proper folder and active.

Don't recall a .lic file getting corrupted .... but guess it's possible. Maybe replace it with the original (if you still have it).
Certainly does resemble no lic.
Have NFS check it for you ?
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2016, 12:33:17 PM »
Double (triple) check that the .lic file is in the proper folder and active.

Don't recall a .lic file getting corrupted .... but guess it's possible. Maybe replace it with the original (if you still have it).
Certainly does resemble no lic.
Have NFS check it for you ?

You know, I had thought of doing that.  I still have the original email so I'll give it a shot.  At this point what could it hurt!
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2016, 12:45:27 PM »
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2016, 09:45:19 PM »
hello,
  last night I was going crazy because of very erratic threading.  I read a few threads on this forum, and it was Hood that got me thinking correctly.    I've got it working today, and want to share.  The secret is to have a perfect index pulse.  I had faked my spindle speed into being stable by using major debounce in both Mach3 and ESS dialogue boxes.  This is only hiding a serious deficiency once you try to cut threads.  Hood said"No debounce".  My signal wire was picking up so much noise without debounce that my spindle speed was registering in 8 digits with spindle off!  I hooked up my cnc4pc spindle pulse unit to the c3 board with the shielded cable and presto - no more bad rpm readings, all with no debounce.  It was my twisted pair extension wiring that was picking up the bad signals and passing to Mach.  The signal was so poor Mach had no chance.  I cut a 2 1/4-8 thread in steel today, and it worked perfectly!  Hats off to Hood!!!!

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2016, 05:23:09 AM »
I'm really disappointed that nobody can help understand why it stopped working.

If you followed advice given, rather than picking and choosing to rationalize what
what makes sense to youself, you would be farther along.

Consider the following:
1. You were using a version of Mach which has problems along with improper code.
2. You were using an unlicensed copy of Mach. Threading does not work in unlicened
   / demo mode.
3. You were asked to use the standard screen set. Didn't even bother to configure it
   and of course it won't work then.

Understand that when something is not working you go back to BASICS and confirm
   things in a logical way so that there is no need for guessing. That allows others
   to duplicate each step as you go through the process of elimination / confirmation.

Manny times from experience we can give that single fix, but when the variables are
many we need to go through a process.

FWIW,

RICH
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2016, 09:50:57 AM »
I'm really disappointed that nobody can help understand why it stopped working.

If you followed advice given, rather than picking and choosing to rationalize what
what makes sense to youself, you would be farther along.

I have not been given anything tangible to look at.  The problem is it worked one day and not the next, yet your suggestions make it seem like the machine never worked at all.  Unfortunately I do not have the time to walk you through an entire CNC machine build to help you understand the problem.

Consider the following:
1. You were using a version of Mach which has problems along with improper code.

I'm working this angle right now but it will take a lot of time to reconfigure v62 and get the machine running with this version.

2. You were using an unlicensed copy of Mach. Threading does not work in unlicened
   / demo mode.

I haven't been running in demo mode for quite some time - I have a purchased license.

3. You were asked to use the standard screen set. Didn't even bother to configure it
   and of course it won't work then.

See above, I tried that but it is too much work and I do not see how that would help.  Maybe you can explain this in more detail.

Understand that when something is not working you go back to BASICS and confirm
   things in a logical way so that there is no need for guessing. That allows others
   to duplicate each step as you go through the process of elimination / confirmation.

Manny times from experience we can give that single fix, but when the variables are
many we need to go through a process.

FWIW,

RICH

I'm looking into it, but right now everything seems to be grasping at straws.  Meanwhile I'm threading as a second op on a manual lathe!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2016, 10:10:39 AM »
No need to reconfigure for 062, just save a copy of your xml some place else other than the Mach3 folder in case something goes wrong, highly unlikely but best to be safe.
Next run the Mach installer of ver 062, it will overwrite the version you presently have, wait until its finished then open your lathe profile as normal.
If you dont have the settings there for some strange reason just copy the saved xml back to the Mach3 folder, job done.

Hood

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2016, 11:12:39 AM »
Unfortunately I do not have the time to walk you through an entire CNC machine build to help you understand the problem.

Perhaps a silly thing to say when you are the one who wants others to spend their time helping you !

Tweakie.
PEACE