Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:46:40 AM

Author Topic: Hurco SM1 Mach Retro Machinist without any electronic knowledge .  (Read 7394 times)

I am slowly starting to retrofit my Hurco 3 axis Sm1 cnc mill. I am going to use the 90 VDC  servo motors that are on the mill.
I occasionally get to check the forums and have been reading posts on Galil cards and Grex .
I want to have a stable accurate machine when I am finished.  What route would I best take ?
Is the bugs worked out with the Galil Mach combo and the  Grex ??
Should I go with Rutex drives since the servos are 90 Volt?
I have been a machinist for quite a few years but this electronic business is like "magic" to me so I appreciate all responses.

Thanks

Offline chad

•  361 361
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • View Profile
Re: Hurco SM1 Mach Retro Machinist without any electronic knowledge .
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 07:18:36 PM »
Little time- so quick reply.

Galil- is working but not ready for prime time.

Grex- Looking better every day. - still not (quite) ready for prime time- very close.

Rutex- good, but a pain to get the tuning tweaked.

Geko- Good, simpler to setup, great customer service.. my recommendation.

80v Geko vs. 90v rutex. I would take the small voltage hit for the Geko and things would just fine. You might loose a small amount of rapid speed but shouldn't be a problem.

Chad

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 07:41:52 PM »
Another option if you don't mind spending cash that is well worth it is:

This one requires that you sell your current Drives (unless they are AC).

Find out what your KW's your motors are, then goto Automation direct and get a "Sure Servo" System with AC dirves, you won't be disappointed, super, duper accurate!!! and fast!!!

A 1kw (1000watt) approx, 42in/lbs A/C servo Medium inertial system is about 1500/axis.
A 750w (1 horse power), system is about 1K per axis.
Prices go down as well if you choose "Light inertial systems"

The drives take a Step and direction signal, and have several other I/O options and perameters. These Drives will easily sling around a Haas VF4 or a Hurco.

Other wise what Chad said above is true.

Scott
fun times

Offline derek

•  200 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 08:05:29 PM »
I had basically the opposite experiance with the geckos. Had a set of 340's on a router and could never get it to stop faulting. I made every conceivable suggested modification and just couldn't get it straightened out. Spent the better part of 2 years suffering with it.  Then I converted a knee mill with a crusader system over to mach and decided on using the Rutex 0-10v step drives. I was immediately impressed. I bought the drives, a relay board, a mother board and a chassis and wired it up in an afternoon. Used the rutex software to tune the drives with no real problem. The only problems were my lack of understanding how this stuff works.  I then bought 3 990 drives for the router and it has yet to screw up. I run it almost every day and have never had any problems. I just did a lathe conversion with the new 2020 drives. I had some drive issues that might have been caused by the servo but Tom at rutex made it right. The tuning software is great. you make all of the adjustments with the software and then flash the drive. This in itself is worth  using Rutex.
Now for the bad news. There always seems to be a availability problem and there still isn't a relay board that's compatible with the new drives. The 2020 drives aren't as  robust as they should be. If I was going to do another machine tomorrow I would probably buy one of the new Larken viper drives hook it to a machine and beat it. If I liked the outcome I would buy 3 more ( 1 spare)  and hope for the best.

Good luck
Derek

Offline patrick71100

•  14 14
  • HURCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 10:26:39 PM »
HI ALL,
MY KM3P IS SAME MACHINE AS YOURS BUT WITH HEAVY TABLE MINE HAS EC DC MOTORS LIKE
YOURS,ITS ON THIS SITE (SHOW AND TELL YOUR MACHINES)MACH 3 GREX AND RUTEX
2010 DRIVES I LOVE SET-UP I HAVE RUN ABOUT 80 HOURS WORKS GREAT,ILL POST A VIDEO
ON YOU TUBE THE NEXT WEEK OR SO.I TRYED GECKO SERVODRIVES AND HAD SAME PROBLEM AS ROUTER MAN,ASK AROUND ABOUT VIPERS,RUTEX ARE OK BUT WILL NEED
HELP TUNING THEM,BUT THEY WORK VERY WELL