Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:35:49 AM

Author Topic: Machine goes crazy following tool path,  (Read 2489 times)

Machine goes crazy following tool path,
« on: November 29, 2014, 07:57:41 AM »
While following tool path, periodically, the z axis just bores into the project, through the 3/4" material and into the sacrificial surface.  Yesterday, it was on a toolpath where the depth was set at 1/4" and it goes as much as 1" deeper.  I can run the same toolpath later and nothing happens.  I can't figure it out, and it has ruined several projects doing this.  John Lindsay

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Machine goes crazy following tool path,
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 08:22:03 AM »
Certainly having more than your fair share of problems John.

Could be that your Z axis is losing steps on the way up and thus goes deeper into the work on the way down.
Try halving the velocity and acceleration settings for the Z axis in motor tuning (save the changes) - see if this resolves the issue.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 10:11:03 AM »
I tried reducing the feed rate by half before I saw your reply.  Doing that, I didn't have any problem with it and got through the project ok.  I am using an old XP machine, wondering if there are memory issues or something that causes the problem.  Thanks for your reply. 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 05:05:23 AM »
You say you reduced the feedrate, were you meaning the Velocity in motor tuning? That was what Tweakie was telling you to try.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 06:27:28 AM »
I think we figured this out.  I was running the gcode off of the flash drive.  Soooo...the machine wants to go to sleep -  transferred all to the hard drive and it seems to be working fine.  I think it was skipping steps and then taking up after a gap, I think we're ok now, but I have purchased a refurbished XP machine with a clean hard drive and more system memory to run the CNC with.  I think that's a good precaution.  I retired the xp machine a few years ago because it was having memory issues, and other instability issues.  Sometimes we forget why we retire these machines.  We'll see.  Thanks for your help.  I may be back.

john