Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:01:13 PM

Author Topic: Ethernet Smooth stepper and The PMDX-126  (Read 14972 times)

Offline bubba

•  80 80
    • View Profile
Ethernet Smooth stepper and The PMDX-126
« on: November 25, 2014, 02:24:59 AM »
Hi Guys,

I am finally setting up a machine with Mach4.
I messed around with Mach3 a little, but never finished setting up the machine.
I just found out that my Galil controllers are not going to be compatible.

So after doing alot of reading I think I have decided to go wit the Ethernet Smooth Stepper and the PMDX-126
If I am understanding this correctly the combo will allow interfacing to servos also. Is that correct?

I will be using steppers initially, but if I could convert to servos later that would be great.

Any suggestions on this combo?

Thanks,
Joe
Re: Ethernet Smooth stepper and The PMDX-126
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 04:14:15 AM »
I am setting mine up right now... the ESS & PMDX-126 are awesome and well built.
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 12:32:31 PM »
I have a pmdx-132 whats the difference to the 126.
Im also looking for a ethernet smoothstepper.

Offline 2CVer

•  14 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 01:42:56 PM »
I've got a router with PMDX-126 and SmoothStepper ESS. My original controller kept missing steps in Y so I upgraded my PC to a Pentium 4 2.8GHz, but that didn't fix the problem. I remade all the wiring and checked the earth loops and noise, but that didn't fix the problem either. Then I rebuilt the controller with a PMDX-126 and SmoothStepper ESS and now I've got a sweet machine that is fast and accurate. Both products are awesome, with great service backup and good (excellent) documentation. I'm just about to rebuild a Boxford ACL cnc lathe and I'm going to use PMDX-126 and SmoothStepper ESS again.
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 02:58:19 PM »
I've got a router with PMDX-126 and SmoothStepper ESS. My original controller kept missing steps in Y so I upgraded my PC to a Pentium 4 2.8GHz, but that didn't fix the problem. I remade all the wiring and checked the earth loops and noise, but that didn't fix the problem either. Then I rebuilt the controller with a PMDX-126 and SmoothStepper ESS and now I've got a sweet machine that is fast and accurate. Both products are awesome, with great service backup and good (excellent) documentation. I'm just about to rebuild a Boxford ACL cnc lathe and I'm going to use PMDX-126 and SmoothStepper ESS again.
Hi, Do you know what advantages the PMDX-126 board has over the CM-106 ?
I'm also converting my Boxford TCL160 so I wouldn't mind if you shared information re using the tool turret.
Regards
George
One step at a time!

Offline 2CVer

•  14 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 06:32:31 PM »
I'm not familiar with the CM-106. Although I live in the UK, I like the support I get from across the pond and wouldn't like to have to install a board with badly translated manuals and where support might be difficult. I've needed to speak to the guys at PMDX and it was a good experience. They have the technical competence and language skills to have a proper conversation that solved my problems immediately. One of the things I really like about the PMDX product range is the modular nature of their products. If you need PWM spindle control, you can add it. If you want a SmoothStepper you can add that too. It all works nicely together. The only downside is that you have to use a USB pendant and the one they recommended didn't work and I've been waiting for a replacement for 6 weeks now.

Regarding the lathe, my ACL has gang tooling rather than a tool drum unfortunately, so I'm not much help here.
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 07:12:13 AM »
2CVer, I have the recommended vistaCNC iMachIII P1A-S pendant after you get it setup correct for the plugin it works great. 
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 06:44:51 AM »

[/quote]
I'm also converting my Boxford TCL160 so I wouldn't mind if you shared information re using the tool turret.
Regards
George
[/quote]

Hi George how are you getting on with your conversion?  I am looking at starting a similar project (Boxford TCL125), are you UK based?  I may need some direction :/

Steve
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 09:14:57 AM »
Hi Steve, not what you want to hear, I'm about to move house with everything boxed up for transit so my conversion is 'on hold' for now i'm afraid.
I will bear you in mind for some exchange once the project is anyway again. Meanwhile, good luck with yours.

Regards

George
One step at a time!
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 04:01:20 PM »

Regards
George
[/quote]

Hi George how are you getting on with your conversion?  I am looking at starting a similar project (Boxford TCL125), are you UK based?  I may need some direction :/

Steve

[/quote]
Hi Steve, just re-located to Scotland having now retired.
Did you get your machine up and running yet.
I have resurrected my TCL160 and will now attempt to finish the project.
I'm using ESS Smooth stepper with CM106 break out board.
Already I'm asking lots of configuration questions.
I notice that my Spindle motor has two Light blue wires marked 11 & 12 disappearing into its harness and into the motor, I don't know what these are do you ?

George
One step at a time!