Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 09:11:14 AM

Author Topic: MachforWin64 breakout board with Mach3 problems on Taig Mill  (Read 15591 times)

MachforWin64 breakout board with Mach3 problems on Taig Mill
« on: November 19, 2014, 12:16:56 PM »
Hi all.  Just signed up because I'm stuck and have nowhere else to turn to.
Here is what I have:

Taig Micromill with Mach3 (recently updated to latest version).
Windows 7 64-bit (no printer port so I bought the breakout board below)
MachForWin64 Kit from Stepper3 LLC (using Ethernet port > printer port > Micromill)

The MachForWin64 Kit is supposedly plug-n-play but it's not working.
The LED indicators light up correctly on the breakout board but when I move the axes using the keys,
I see the movements on screen, but the CNC machine doesn't move at all - not even any clicking sound.
I emailed Stepper3 LLC three times in a two week span but received no reply.  I called them but it always goes to voicemail.
Maybe I can do something on the Mach3 end?  This is where I'm asking for help.
I was thinking that maybe I have to adjust the Ports and Pins in the configuration but I don't know what I should enter.
Is there a "general" number I should enter in the Motor Outputs, Input Signals, Output Signals tabs?
I've tried entering numbers as shown in the Mach Install Config PDF but that didn't work.  
Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you.

edit: The MachForWin64 User's Guide states this (but I don't know what to enter in the Ports & Pins Config)

On port 1 (the port I'm using that connects to the XYZA on the motor driver)
pins 1 through 9, 14,16 and 17 are output pins and pins 10 through 13 and 15 are inputs

Where and what numbers do I enter in the Ports & Pins?  (Step Pin#, Dir Pin#, Step Port, Dir Port,etc)? 

« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 12:30:09 PM by slowpoke »
Re: MachforWin64 breakout board with Mach3 problems on Taig Mill
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 12:37:40 PM »
What areas must I configure?

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 03:29:37 PM »
Problem solved! 
I went back to the original Taig configuration setup for Mach3 and it worked fine.
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 11:50:46 AM »
My machine does not have limit switches.  How do I set the limits on Mach3?  
I see a Home/Limits tab and tried entering some numbers but it didn't stop or slow as it moved toward the limits I entered.
Do I enter soft limits as a decimal in relation to HOME?  

For example: Let's say z-axis is 0.000 and the machine can physically go up to a maximum of 4 inches up and -2 inches down before crashing into the table.
If I wanted a buffer zone of 0.300 before z-axis maxes out on either end, do I enter 3.700 and -1.700 in the max and min limits?
Actually, I've been trying this way and it wasn't working...  :(

Sorry, 5.6 in the Mach3 Install Guide was confusing to me...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 12:01:47 PM by slowpoke »
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 04:56:37 AM »
Sloepoke. I am thinking of buying the same breakout board (mach 4 win 64) you did and i wanted to ask how is it working for  you? Are you connected direct to network port on your comp or through a hub/switch? I am not finding much information on this board but it is supported by Mach 3. Have you discovered what doesnt work with this board yet?
Thanks in advance
Russ
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 03:34:58 PM »
I used the original configuration that was provided with the machine and, so far, the kit works well. No glitches yet for my simple codes.  It is connected directly to the network port.  So my setup is currently like this:  PC network port > MachforWin64 kit network port input.  Then kit parallel output > machine controller parallel input.  I haven't figured out the limit switches but that's OK, I just make sure I don't go beyond those points when programming G-code.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 07:23:01 PM »
slowpoke,
My machine does not have limit switches.  How do I set the limits on Mach3?

You can use soft limits. See document in link below as that should be of help.

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,11409.msg72346.html#msg72346

RICH
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 03:18:06 AM »
Thank you slowpoke and Rich. I think i will take the plunge. I hope to connect mine to my network though rather than direct to the comp.
RUSS