Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 03:33:09 PM

Author Topic: Just joined....so hi all!!  (Read 1938 times)

Just joined....so hi all!!
« on: November 19, 2014, 04:20:38 AM »
Hi there,
I have just joined and have also recently made my first steps into the world of CNC machining after purchasing a flatbed CNC milling machine with 600x400mm work area.
I have learned quite a bit already in regards to my actual machine settings. Limits, Homing, Setting the work and job areas. Motors all running correctly and cuts the right length.
I am, however, having a few teething problems with the Mach3 side of things and maybe someone here could help or point me in the right direction.

I primarily obtained the machine to etch PCBs and I have achieved this with some success...good clear tracks and nice clearances around pads etc.
I used the EagleCAD software to capture the schematics and produce the PCB art.
I then used a user made G code extension of Eagle to produce the G-Code. PCB2Gcode.
I have used a 0.2 mm V Bit to mill and like I mentioned this side of things has been so far, so good.
As I now have it running as I want, I would like to increase the production of PCB by milling multiples from the same board.
I have achieved this so far by manually lining up the next PCB after the previous one had finished.
I know this may be very apparent in the documentation of Mach3 and also a very Noob question.

How do I cut multiples of the same thing and allow the machine to run continuously?
Can I import G-code and place it where I need it? (this would solve everything I believe)
How do I place other PCBs into the work area?

Sorry if this is a long drawn out question but any help would be much appreciated.

Best regards

Vinny

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Just joined....so hi all!!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 01:42:58 PM »
How do I cut multiples of the same thing and allow the machine to run continuously?

You can do this a few ways but ave a look at the nesting wizard, it may be your best bet. What you do is load your code then press Edit, replace the M30 at the end with M99, you then go to wizards and choose the nesting wizard. Once open choose the amount of repeats in X in Y that you want and the distance between then press create file.

Can I import G-code and place it where I need it? (this would solve everything I believe)

Yes just jog to where you want the X Y Z zero to be and press the Zero buttons at the side of the axes DROs.

Hood
Re: Just joined....so hi all!!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 02:08:33 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

I will try what you have suggested and get back with the results.It really sounds like exactly what I am attempting.

Hopefully it will work!!

Best regards

Vinny