Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:19:43 PM

Author Topic: Odd problem with DRO in Mach3  (Read 2717 times)

Odd problem with DRO in Mach3
« on: November 18, 2014, 08:43:58 AM »
I have an interesting problem. I have Mach3 with a Galil DMC-1840 controller set up in Windows XP, with the Galil-ST plugin. This is connected to a Bridgeport knee mill with 3 axis servo motors. The servo motors are all connected and tuned. Mach 3 connects to the Galil controller and the motors all move in the correct direction and what seems to be the correct amount. My problem is that the DRO values for the X,Y,and Z axis do not change when the motors move. Even when not connected to the motors, when I input a move from either MDI or the MPG jog mode the DRO still reads zero. If I teach a program and run it, the simulator shows movement, but no DRO change. However if I click on the To Go button the DRO counts down the move and works as I think it should.

I have another system running Windows 2000 with a DMC-1750 controller and the DRO's read as they should. Did I miss something in set-up or what could be causing this?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Odd problem with DRO in Mach3
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 05:38:56 PM »
Probably best to ask on the Galil section of the forum.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 06:51:28 PM »
I don't think the problem is related to Galil, it seems to just be Mach3.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 06:54:18 PM by bbutcher »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 06:55:35 PM »
When using an external controller it is almost certainly them  that update the DROs in MACH, so I would say it is more likely a Galil issue.
I dont have a Galil so do not know how it is set up but it may be something as simple as you have not enabled the axes in Ports and Pins.
Quite often with external controllers you do not need to set the port and pin numbers for the axes but you have to enable thm.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 08:29:57 AM »
OK, I will post on the Galil forum. Thanks for the tips. I do have the ports enabled, FWIW.