Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:40:13 AM

Author Topic: Thinking of switching to a closed loop system?  (Read 1782 times)

Thinking of switching to a closed loop system?
« on: November 17, 2014, 05:54:05 PM »
I've built my cnc mill about a year ago and since then made many many parts. During that time however I've certainly had my share of set backs. Most of them involved missing steps. My problem would happen if I run a large quantity of parts without letting the machine rest. For example, a part I designed required three holes drilled 1" deep. I was peck drilling each hole and the entire cycle time was around 1 minute. I can run about 20 parts with no problem but then all of a sudden I would hear that "squealing" noise and sure enough the z axis loses its position. If I let it rest, reset the position I would be good for a couple more parts. My question is if I go with a closed loop stepper system will this indeed solve a missed step problem? Not only am I aggravated cause I'm constantly hovering over the e-stop button but sometimes I ruin the part in the process. My current setup is a grizzly 1006 bench mill with Nema 34 Motors, running at 800micro steps per. Anyone have the closed loop system?