Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:12:32 AM

Author Topic: Problem with using mill with 3d print head  (Read 2243 times)

Problem with using mill with 3d print head
« on: November 12, 2014, 11:03:47 PM »
I recently made a print head to attach to my mill so I can make 3d printed items.
The last print I made something strange happened and I am trying to determined what happened.
The print resembles a large box 8x8x9 inches. As the box was printing it started to curve to one side. At first I thought I was loosing steps  but I ruled this out because the dimensions of the box we're correct. The curve was only in the -y direction. The wall on the x axis side was straight.
I have been using Cura as the software to make the gcode for Mach3
The only change I made to my machine recently is I started using a UC100 motion controller.
I never had any problems with this machine and the machine has been working as a 3d printer but this was before the UC100.  Any ideas would help. I would like to trouble shoot this problem before I try to make this print again.
Thanks Paul
Re: Problem with using mill with 3d print head
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 05:10:10 AM »
if each layer starts in the +y direction, and the machine always rapid travels in +y direction to begin each layer, and if the machine regularly misses y step(s) during the +y rapid travel, then the layer dimension will remain correct (as long as it isn't missing steps at feedrate), but each layer will be shifted in the -y direction by however many steps were missed during +y rapid travel

first, make sure the toolpath looks correct, and then reduce the rapid speed and acceleration, and if that helps then it suggests that you were missing steps when the part curved

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 09:23:29 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I am going to give slowing the machine down a try tomorrow. It is the easiest thing to try.
The tool path looked good  and it is correct in the toolpath window in Mach3.
Thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 02:59:01 PM »
I suggest you to try to lower the kernel speed of your UC100 on the Plugins-UC100 I/O monitor screen to strech the step pulse width.