Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:46:52 AM

Author Topic: MPG Wiring  (Read 5962 times)

MPG Wiring
« on: November 11, 2014, 08:32:31 PM »
Hey guys!!!!

Would someone please enlighten me on this diagram where it says COMMON CATHODE CONNECTION FOR DIGITAL INPUTS.  Pin 12 to 19.  Looks likes just a jumper to me but am not an electrical guy.  I finished my pendant tonight.  Didn't realize that the MPG(Free from Old equipment at work) was 12 volt instead of 5volt.  Since the rated voltage was higher than the input voltage I was pretty sure no damage would occur and wanted to give it a try in the chance that it might work.  All my selector switches worked and the MPG worked except when you spun it slow.  I'm assuming that is because of the voltage rating difference.  Was going to order me another MPG tonight but wanted to make sure that common cathode connection being just a jumper wasn't causing this problem.  This is a CS-Lap MPG module that it is hooked up to.  Thanks for all the help.
Re: MPG Wiring
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 08:33:46 PM »
Sorry :-[!!!

Heres the top clip of the diagram.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 07:18:03 AM »
The problem is almost certainly the 12v MPG.

Hood
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 06:43:35 PM »
I was pretty sure it was. The new one will be here tomorrow. I'll get that put in and tie in the estop circuit from the pendant this weekend.  Thought for sure I would have everything wrapped up last weekend, but had an encoder error on one of my drives. Turned out to be a broken wire at the solder joint on one of the connectors.  Just took a while to find.  The drive enable circuit is working out well and so far I haven't saw any noise issues yet with debounce set at 0. I'll keep my fingers crossed.  I am really impressed with the CS-Lab products. Thanks for steering me that way Hood ;). And for answering all my crazy questions!!!!!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 02:07:26 PM »
Things always take a wee bit longer than initially expected :)
Debounce in Mach will make no difference when using an external controller, it is just for use when using the parallel port.
I have never had a noise issue with the IP- controllers but if you do I think there is a setting in the plugin.

Hood
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 07:25:53 PM »
Got the new mpg installed in the pendant this weekend. I can't believe how smoothe it is. I finished all the configuration in mach tonight. Spindle is fully functional. I always thought when the machine came in that the spindle speed wasn't correct. Turned the spindle on tonight and I believe that rpm is correct, however the display reads a different value. I'll bring a rpm gauge in from work tomorrow to verify the speed. I believe it is just the display but I am going to verify. Seems like I went through this same thing when I built my other machine. This one has a delta-b inverter. Current display shows it running 3800 rpms when give a 1500 rpm command. Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this retrofit!!!!  :D

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 02:41:55 AM »
Make sure you ave the correct Max RPM set in Config then Spindle Pulleys and also that the ratio is 1 (unless its not ;D)

Hood
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 07:04:16 PM »
Got my laser tach today. Tested the machine and actually the vfd display and the spindle are within 10 rpms.
S1000 m03 =2300 on VFD Display=2289 off tach at spindle

Obviously the spindle and VFD display are in sync. Even though there isn't any pulleys, should I just figure the ratio and use that? I set max rpms but left ratio at one.  I can do the math and use a ratio, but is there something else I'm missing. As always, thanks for the help!!! ;D

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 02:43:41 AM »
Sounds like you need to set the VFD up so that the scaling is correct. I am not really familiar with VFD's but on a servo drive you would tell it how many RPM per volt of analogue signal, I would think it would be similar in a VFD.
Hood
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 07:20:28 PM »
Rpms are set up correctly now. Thanks hood. It was a minor oversight on my part