Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:07:57 AM

Author Topic: which 2 wires to hook board to Variable Frequency Drive  (Read 6444 times)

which 2 wires to hook board to Variable Frequency Drive
« on: November 08, 2014, 10:43:01 PM »
 You guys are awesome! Thanks to my last (& 1st) post I can now move my cnc in X, Y & Z.

Now I hope to get the VFD spinning. I replaced a control board in a big cnc machine I brought from China. The new board is an XHC-MK4:
http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/breakout-boards/cnc-mach3-usb-card-xhc-mk6-4-axis-motion-control-card-usb2-0-interface-wshell

The VFD had been connected to the original control board with TWO wires. On the VFD the wire connections are a blue wire connected to "S1" and a bit thicker yellow wire connected to "DCM".

Does anyone have any where I might connect these wires to the new control board? There are five spindle connections options on the card: PWM, FWD, 10V, VI, and COM.

I assume maybe one wire is for spindle speed and the other might be, for what, spindle on/off? Which do you think I should connect? :-[  ??? >:( :-\

Offline BWC

•  6 6
    • View Profile
Re: which 2 wires to hook board to Variable Frequency Drive
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 06:55:22 AM »
What model of VFD do you have? Depending on how your VFD is configured (usually with a parameter setting) the terminals will be different.
Most likely you will have 1 of the 3 following inputs across 2-wires: 0-10 V, 4-20 mA or a PWM. The pin out on the new board seems straight forward but your success all depends on how the the VFD is set up to receive signals from your controller.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 07:09:15 AM »
Thank you, but maybe I'm in trouble then. I don't have any documentation on the VFD/inverter/(same thing?). I'm trying to attach an image of  the label is on it to this post.  :-\

Offline BWC

•  6 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 03:59:58 PM »
I'm pretty sure I can help you on this. Plase send a picture of the terminal blocks where the wires are connected and a front view of the LED display as well. I think I can get what you need from there and maybe an owners manual if it is what I think it is.
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 06:03:10 PM »
Thank you so much.

Here are pics of both the termiinal blocks on the VFD and the terminal blocks on the control board. A lot more info on the control board is on the vendor's page:
http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/breakout-boards/cnc-mach3-usb-card-xhc-mk6-4-axis-motion-control-card-usb2-0-interface-wshell

[/img]

Offline BWC

•  6 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 08:34:49 PM »
If you are lucky, the following should work and if it doesn't, it won't hurt anything.
Connect the DCM to COM (Drive Interface: 10V ground)
Connect S1 to V1 (Drive Interface: 0 to 10V output)  - Should be as simple as this.
The slide switches and lack of other wiring indicate that the VFD is set up to receive a 0-10 V input. The VFD does not seem to have the options of 4-20mA OR pulse/direction signaling.  DCM is commonly referred to as 0V (or signal ground) in Chinese electronics (in my experience)
If you have a voltmeter to test the 0-10V output from the Motion Card, it would be good knowledge to have.
BTW, I believe that the Spindle Input would only be necessary if you have a closed-loop (system controlled/monitored) high accuracy spindle control set up. If you don't need to do this, I wouldn't at this time.
Good luck, it should go OK. I don't have the manual for this VFD but mine is somewhat close in many aspects. Since the are differences, and assuming it worked before, the parameters and such should all be adequate for your needs.
BTW, if the spindle runs backwards, reverse any 2 of the 3 motor leads.
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 09:00:04 PM »
Excellent!! Thanks for the tip. I'll try this.
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 11:12:39 PM »
THANK YOU!! I did it! It works!