Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:54:08 AM

Author Topic: First time user of this site with some basic level Mach3 questions.  (Read 6356 times)

Hi everyone,

This is my first time using this site, so let me begin by saying that if I am supposed to make this post somewhere else that is better more appropriate, I apologize in advance.

I would like to use the Mach3 software, and I am trying to gather my basic hardware to do this. I do not have a really old computer that has a parallel port, so according to the Mach3 website I need to use an external motion device. I went on e-bay and came across a unit called "UC100 USB motion controller". I have a few questions/comments about using this:

(a) If I go with the UC100 USB motion controller, does this entirely eliminate the need for a parallel port?

(b) I know laptops are generally not recommended for CNC cutting, but I have an old one that is no longer in use, and I can adjust the power settings so that it does not go into hibernate/sleep mode. However, the unit is currently running on Windows 7 64-bit. If I re-flash the hard drive to Windows 7 32-bit and get the UC100, can I then use Mach3 on my laptop?

(c) Does the aforementioned present any problems if my goal is to use Mach3 for 4-axis CNC foam cutting?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

William James
Re: First time user of this site with some basic level Mach3 questions.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 07:28:55 PM »
William,
I run my UC100 on my 64 bit laptop.  No need to reinstall 32 bit.  That's only needed for a parallel port and driver.

Good Luck with your new cnc hobby,
John Champlain
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 08:04:58 PM »
William,
I run my UC100 on my 64 bit laptop.  No need to reinstall 32 bit.  That's only needed for a parallel port and driver.

Good Luck with your new cnc hobby,
John Champlain

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply. In my original post I had asked inquired about Windows 7, but would you happen to know if UC100 work with Windows 8 (64 bit)?

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 08:19:34 PM »
William,
Yes, it does for me.  I'm typing now on a Win 8 64bit laptop with my UC100 connected and running in test mode
(UC100 not connected to stepper drivers).
John
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 08:25:19 PM »
William,
Yes, it does for me.  I'm typing now on a Win 8 64bit laptop with my UC100 connected and running in test mode
(UC100 not connected to stepper drivers).
John

Picengraver,

Many thanks for your reply. So now that I know I can use the UC100 and my Win 8 64-bit laptop, I would like to pair this up with the following: (i) TB6560 Stepper Motor Driver Board Controller, (ii) 4 Stepper motors (for 4-axis). This should work right?

William James
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 08:46:49 PM »
William,
Sorry, I can't comment on that as I don't have any experience with the TB6560.
John
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 08:51:03 PM »
William,
John

Fair enough. Thank you for the help you did provide earlier :)
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 06:00:45 PM »
William,
John

John - May I ask what control board you are using? I was considering the TB6560 but now that I've done further research, I'm not entirely confident in the unit. I am basically looking to get a control board and stepper motors that will allow me to use Mach3 to cut foam for RC airfoils.

Thanks
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 06:44:36 PM »
William,
I use some Gecko 210 drives, a couple of Gecko 251x drives, a Xylotex 3 axis, and a HobbyCNC 4 axis drive.  Although I don't have one, I do think that by far the Gecko 540 is probably the premiere cnc drive available today for hobby use.  A little more expensive maybe, but a solid performer from a first class manufacturer.

There are less expensive drives available that will give good results, and hopefully others here will advise you about them.

John

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 06:57:32 PM »
Thank you John. Just a couple of questions regarding what you mentioned:

(i) If I go with the Gecko 540, I will still need to buy the stepper motors and power supply separately correct?

(ii) If I plan on running this and Mach3 on Windows 8 64-bit , will I still need to purchase the UC100 LPT-USB adapter?

(iii) My primary use for this product is to cut foam wings using a hot wire cutter. If some day I decide to transfer the Gecko 540 to a machine that can do other CNC functions (eg: laser cuttting, milling, etc..), will the G540 have that versatility?

Thanks again.