Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 03:56:33 PM

Author Topic: Step and Direction wire length  (Read 1748 times)

Step and Direction wire length
« on: October 21, 2014, 02:36:16 PM »
Is there a limit to how long the step and direction wires can be? I want to mount my computer and brake out out side of the main control panel.

thanks, john

Re: Step and Direction wire length
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 12:36:05 AM »
Hello John

Ideally what you want is a big metal box big enough to fit all your electronics in like your motor drivers and bob and power supply. That box is going to want to have a wire that runs to an earth ground. Your step and direction wires want to be as short as possible. The longer they are the bigger chance they will turn into an antenna and pick up electrical noise interference. That will make your motors do weird things like lose steps and change the direction of the motors. Having all your electronics in a metal box that is grounded will send any external electrical noise to ground and keep it away from your electronics. Some people install the computer inside of the control panel too. Personally I would rather have the computer a reasonable distance away and run the cables to the controller to reduce the chance picking up electrical noise. But ultimately it's your call how you do it. You can Google CNC electronic enclosures and then go to look at CNCCookbook website for some nice pictures of some enclosures and how they are wired.

Eric