Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:53:25 PM

Author Topic: 1 drive 3 axes and mach 3  (Read 6356 times)

1 drive 3 axes and mach 3
« on: October 09, 2014, 01:02:42 PM »
Hi,

I have an old milling machine with mobile mast. It has 3 axes but only one servo motor. Switching between axes is achieved with electromagnetic clutches. It cannot move more than one axis at the time. Is it possible to configure Mach3 so it can drive the machine?

It is not actually this machine on the picture but it is the same.

thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: 1 drive 3 axes and mach 3
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 02:39:46 PM »
I would imagine the drive would be analogue command rather than Step/Dir. If that is the case then you would need one of the controllers capable of sending out +/-10v analogue signal.
You should be able to do what you want by swapping outputs from the control by means of relay or electronics or possibly by usng the SwapAxis function of Mach. However I am not sure if the external controllers that can output analogue commands are capable of utelising SwapAxis as it has to be a function of their plugin. You would need to check with the manufacturers if that is the route you wish to take.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 12:59:17 AM »
Yes, it is +/-10v analogue drive. That is not a problem, I will buy whatever I need to make this working.
Is it possible to configure mach3 so it works like this:
when selecting, let’s say, X axis, it sends a command of speed and direction to the drive and simultaneously activates the electromagnetic clutch of X axis, if I select Y axis it sends a command of speed and direction to the same drive and only switches from X axis em clutch to Y axis em clutch?
Is it possible that mach3 always sends speed and direction commands to the same drive regardless of which axis is selected either through jog  or g-code and only thing what is changed is digital outputs to the em clutches?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 03:30:41 AM »
Mach itself could not send the signal to one drive when commanding different axes but it is likely you could trick it into doing so. It would not be straight forward as you would need to have a Mcode before each move of a different axis. That MCode would operate relays  that would swap the outputs from your controller so that tey feed the axis drive, it would also be used to energise the magnetic clutch.

It is not an elegant solution but it should work.
Hood

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 04:44:46 AM »
Mach itself could not send the signal to one drive when commanding different axes but it is likely you could trick it into doing so.

Why not just setup each axis step/dir pair to be the same two pins? As long as you never command a 2 or 3 axis move (particularly of different directions) you should be ok. So as you say - just have an M call prior to each axis move to select the appropriate clutch - then whether you command XY or Z it will activate the same two pins?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 04:47:00 AM »
Its +/- 10v Ian.

Hood

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 04:49:49 AM »
OK - I'm out of my zone then - but just for my edification - how does Mach send out +/- 10V?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 04:52:20 AM »
Mach itself won't, you need to use an external controller such as CSMIO/IP-A or DSPMC or Kflop with Kanalog.

Hood

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 04:57:01 AM »
Like I say - I'm out of my zone so bear with me if I'm being dumb here - but whatever type of drive you use - don't you set up "pins" somewhere?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 05:00:01 AM »
Well depends on the device, probably most dont need pins set as such but rather channels in the plugin assigned. Basically does the same thing as setting pins in Mach I suppose.
Hood