Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:34:07 AM

Author Topic: USB or LPT2 MPG Pendant with E-stop?  (Read 2155 times)

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
USB or LPT2 MPG Pendant with E-stop?
« on: October 08, 2014, 02:43:06 PM »
I am going to use a C32 breakout board with an ESS on my router. I am using DMM Tech Servo motors and their new DYN2 drives.

I am wondering if I should get a CNC4PC MPG pendant that hooks to the parallel port of the C32 board, or if I should get one of the many USB pendants?

For now I am not going to do a control panel. I will just use the pendant and the keyboard/mouse/computer screen. I may consider a touch screen (have not looked into yet). I am getting a pendant either way though, so I need to figure out which one.

I like some of the features of the USB ones out there, but the E-stop seems like it won't be safe since it is controlled through USB. The CNC4PC E-stop should work even if the computer crashes, more like a conventional E-stop button.  

I will have another E-stop on the machine that I could try to place in a good location and then go with a USB pendant, knowing that it might not be the best E-Stop setup on the pendant.  

Anyway, looking for some feedback/suggestions.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: USB or LPT2 MPG Pendant with E-stop?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 06:34:47 PM »
I am not sure how the C32 handles the E-Stop but it will likely be hardware I would think.
So your thoughts on USB versus the CNC4PC pendant is correct.
I would personally never consider having an E-Stop via USB, even if it were a secondary E-Stop as the tendency to rely on it could be dangerous.

If the C32 only sends a signal to Mach and relies on Mach to do the E-Stop, then that is not good either but as said I do not know how the C32 handles an E-Stop. If it is hardware ( blocks step/dir outputs independent of MACH) as well as sending a signal to Mach then that is the preferred way.
Just my opinion of course ;)
Hood

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
Re: USB or LPT2 MPG Pendant with E-stop?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 10:59:51 AM »
Looking at some of the VistaCNC pendants. It looks like you can get models with an "E" on the end that allow for the E-stop to be traditionally wired even though the rest of the functions are USB.