Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:48:29 AM

Author Topic: Dolphin question for Hood please.  (Read 3503 times)

Dolphin question for Hood please.
« on: October 06, 2014, 12:02:19 PM »
I’m setting up a job on the lathe that requires internal profiling with very little room for maneuvering the tool.  The beginning hole size is 4.5mm and my smallest boring tool is 4mm.  I remember you saying that v10 Dolphin has a problem with internal turning being reversed? 

Do you recall what the problem is?  Is it the simulation that’s reversed or the front/rear toolpost backward or just plain reversal of the code?  How should I get around it and do you have any suggestions or tips as to how to prevent crashing my expensive Micro 100 carbide boring tool?

I apologize in advance for not digging into this a bit deeper before asking questions but the weekend flew by doing other things and here I am again, back at work on a Monday & worrying about how to figure out shop things.
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Dolphin question for Hood please.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 04:53:54 PM »
I think you have to tell Dolphin V10 that the boring bar is on the front post and approaching from the rear, that is if you are using a rear turret. Not sure if you would have to tell it the opposite if you were using a front post.

Easy way to check is produce the code then open it in Mach and zoom in to see if it looks right, you could even just produce the code for the actual boring op and that would make it even easier to see in Mach.

I will see if I can find previous PM or possibly email I sent to you on the subject but it will take a bit of digging as I have a lot of PM's :D

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 05:42:47 PM »
Ok found the info I sent in a PM at the time, seems it is just the approach you need to change with regards to internal boring.
Here is what I wrote.

"V10 has a few quirks but when you know the workarounds it produces excellent code. The two main ones I can remember are internal arcs are the wrong way but all you need to do is tell Dolphin that the tool is approaching from the opposite side instead of the side it is. For example if you have a rear turret then your bar would approach from the front, so you tell Dolphin it approaches from the rear.
The other is threading, the pitch has to be entered backwards for some reason, eg if you wanted 1.5 pitch you would enter 5.1 or at least thats how I remember it"

Hood
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 05:57:27 PM »
Many thanks kind sir.  I should've done a more thorough search and saved you some time.  I promise to do better next time. :-[

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 02:42:39 AM »
No problem :)
Just remember to check the toolpath in Mach before you run it just to make sure.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 09:32:45 AM »
Just remember to check the toolpath in Mach before you run it just to make sure.
Absolutely!  Just to be sure,  I think I'll mount up a toothpick in a toolholder, zero it and run the code.  Much cheaper than breaking those cute little carbide boring bars!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 09:50:06 AM »
Ha ha that is for sure, unless of course it is the gold plated toothpicks that those Jaguar car owners use ;)

Hood
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 01:23:28 PM »
...gold plated toothpicks that those Jaguar car owners use ;)
Great idea!  Maybe I should go into production.  Oh wait, I got it.  How about a little solid-gold leaper with a hole in 'is mouth to fit a toothpick.:)