Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 10:26:07 PM

Author Topic: need help writing script to auto store tool offsets for currently selected tool  (Read 6628 times)

Chances are this has been discussed 100 times and I am just not finding it so I am asking for help here (I hope this is even the right place)

I recently bought a nice normally closed circuit digitizing probe that I managed to get running  :D. To complement this I built a very simple NC switch (NC because the digitizing probe is NC and the home made switch has to share the same pins on the BOB) assembly to use for setting tool offsets with (as most of my jobs run between 4 and 12 tools I figured this idea would be a time saver when checking/setting each tool before starting the job run) and then made both where they can share a RCA jack that runs back to the break out board.

So far I have found a number of scripts online for the material height setting using a digital probe (some kind of worked - some not so much) but I have yet to find a single mention any scripts being able to do the tool offsets in this manor :-\ :-\

What I would like to be able to do is set editable button up for offsetting a tool(s) using a home made normally closed switch.

Essentially what I envision is this:
1. Place homemade normally closed switch under spindle
2. select the tool I am setting in mach3 (to include tool "0" so I can reference the digital probe against the home made switch as the digital probe will be used to set the material height in a separate effort)
3. install said tool in spindle
4. click (editable button marked) "Set current tool offset"
5. have the tool descend at speed #1 onto the switch breaking the circuit
6. tool retract a small distance
7. begin second slower speed (speed #2) decent (Double probing)
8. stop when the switch is opened and store offset to SELECTED tool slot
9. retract up - say 1.000

From there I can select the next tool and repeat until the final tool is set. Following the last tool offset I would use the digital probe itself (T0) to set the work material height and then move onto the job itself.

I am not a coder and while I looked over the Mach wiki page and found several bits and pieces that I believe are part of making this idea come to life it was like me trying to read sand script - it was just to much and to far over my head to make any sense..........

I am hoping someone here with the required coding know how can help write up the script (or a link to where someone already did this and has the script posted) and help me get up and going on this idea working.

Thank you in advance,
~Terry S
I'm starting to think I have either exceeded the capability of Mach3 for this to be done or I am somehow "breaking new ground"? Either seem unlikely to me though............

Anyone ever try this idea before?
~T
Hi Tbc:

What you want to do has been implemented in several screensets, using the Mach3 probe
function by talented Mach3 authors over the years.

On the Mach3 Forum, under Mach Screens/Finished Screens/Mach Blue Probing by Big-Tex.
This is a working tool probe screenset.

The MSM Screenset by Dave Bagby. This screenset has a touch probe, touch plate,
and automatic tool offset functions. This is perhaps the most sophisticated screen set
available, and it is licensed.
www.CalypsoVentures.com

The third example is a prolific writer/machinist, Daniel E. Kemp, who goes by the
name "Hoss". He post all his work on on the CNC Zone.
Here is the link to his tool probe script;

http://www.hossmachine.info/forum/yaf_postst7_Automatic-Tool-Probe.aspx

John

Hi Tbc:

What you want to do has been implemented in several screensets, using the Mach3 probe
function by talented Mach3 authors over the years.

On the Mach3 Forum, under Mach Screens/Finished Screens/Mach Blue Probing by Big-Tex.
This is a working tool probe screenset.

The MSM Screenset by Dave Bagby. This screenset has a touch probe, touch plate,
and automatic tool offset functions. This is perhaps the most sophisticated screen set
available, and it is licensed.
www.CalypsoVentures.com

The third example is a prolific writer/machinist, Daniel E. Kemp, who goes by the
name "Hoss". He post all his work on on the CNC Zone.
Here is the link to his tool probe script;

http://www.hossmachine.info/forum/yaf_postst7_Automatic-Tool-Probe.aspx

John

Thank you John, I tried once to set up one of the screen sets that are out floating around and it did not go well - operator error I am sure.......  :-\

Now, knowing this feature is in some of them though its worth a second attempt.
Thank you again for taking the time to post the response - it is much appreciated  ;D ; :D ;D :D
Hi Tbc:

Using a probe and/or touch plate introduce require some electronic knowledge, since most probes function by a contact "opening", and a touch plate functions by pulling the probe signal "low" or to ground. On Dave Bagby's web site, he goes into this problem in detail, and has schematics.

On the CNC4PC site, Arturo has a schematic for the touch probe.
http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product_info.php?cPath=69&products_id=322&osCsid=f4550cac7d679293a108bd0c75ec9182

Another problem, aside from differing active HI/active LOW states, is the LED within the probe. When the probe contact opens, there is a tiny residual current from the LED, causing the circuit to appear still "closed". Another factor is the differences in breakout boards, and the signal being something less than 5v. when it should be a "HI", or never quite 0v. when it should be a "LOW".

Probing is definitely not a simple "plug and play" operation.

John