Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 12:21:00 AM

Author Topic: Help our Z axis has a mind of its own.....  (Read 9435 times)

Help our Z axis has a mind of its own.....
« on: March 28, 2007, 01:58:51 PM »
Hi, I am new to CNC, so please be gentle with me... ;)

We purchased a homemade cnc machine, including controller, motors, cnc machine, the works basically, and it works fine with Mach 3 and we are generally pleased with it....... We have since purchased 2 cnc Controller board kits (each has 3 x axis) together with the compatible stepper motors, to put to our own cnc  machines, and we are really tearing our hair out with the Mach 3 software (we are assuming it is the Mach 3 software as the manufacturer of the boards thinks that this can be the only reason for the problem)

The problem is, we have attached both kits, (at different times !) to 3 completely different pc's, each running Windows XP, and each running different versions of Mach 3 software, and every time, the Z axis motor is turning of its own accord and we are then unable to zero any co-ordinates.. We are not jogging the Z axis, we are not supplying any g-code for it, and we are not inserting the co-ordinates by hand for it, but every time we want to run the x or Y axis, the blooming z axis wants to do a jig also, first it runs all the way up to 45mm (if we let it), then turns back the other way, then it allows either our X or Y axis to operate as we intended, luckily at this stage we have not attached the motors to their intended lead screws/cnc machine...

We have installed the profile files for the controller into Mach 3, and have even attempted to input our own profile setup for pins etc. (as per the manual that came with the kits) . but we still end up with a wacky Z axis. We cannot return the Z axis to 0, and whatever the z axis decides to stop at, the offset and absolute co-ordinates will not budge from that point onwards... We rebooted the Mach 3 installation as requested, and even undertook to run the specialdriver.bat and parallele.reg files, and disabled/re-enabled the parallel port, in between installation and un-installing Mach 3, to no avail.... we are using desktop pc's as opposed to laptop, as we tried laptop before we realised that they are not powerful enough, so in effect, these 2 boards have actually been attahced to 5 different pc's, and not one of them will run the stepper motors successfully....

The supplier has helped us all he can, we have installed and re-installed his profiles, and have used the same version of Mach 3 that the profiles were originally set up for, and it appears that the boards were tested and working fine before they came to us, but even the manufacturer is also now at a loss, we even purchased a completely seperate stand alone PC with no access to networks, internet etc. etc.. in case it was this causing a problem, but on the new PC we have the same problem...
 :'(
Has anybody ever come across this before ? Our Z axis is driving itself, and driving me absolutely mad!

Any help will be most welcome......

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Help our Z axis has a mind of its own.....
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 02:03:30 PM »
Hey Cosyhollow,
     I have sent you a personal message.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 05:26:23 PM »
Can you post your XML file for us to look at?

Brett

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 05:29:45 PM »
I can, do you have an email address ?

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 05:40:20 PM »
I do, but you can post it here on the forum, that way more people can look at it. Click on this link and watch the video, it'll help.

http://precisionchaos1.com/welcome_tutor_flash/welcome_tutor_flash.html

Brett

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 05:49:29 PM »
Thanks Brett, Just watched the video tutorial, all sounds pretty straightforward, so here goes then... my attachment should be below if I have done it right!!
By the way, what an excellent accent!!!! ;D

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 08:23:24 PM »
LOL, I know about my accent, you would probably sound weird to me too. I have it bad don't I. Have you tried it with the allow safe z moves disabled? It is in general config at the very bottom. Try it with that disabled and tell me what it does.

Brett

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 09:19:24 AM »
HI Brett
I feel really stupid now, but I just can't seem to find the 'allow safe z moves' button  :-[ could you point me in the right direction, which Alt-page should I be on ? or is it in one of the Config menu's ?

Sorry about this, but I am still finding my way around...

If it helps, I did click the 'Axis Inhbit' button for the Z, in the Alt-6 settings page, this turned the grey box alongside yellow, and then I could go ahead and move the X and Y axis fine, but is not satisfactory whilst I am running a job though. Plus, when I closed the program down then re-opened it, the co-ordinates were not at 0 any more, both the x and y co-ordinates had moved, does this sound right ? (I did not save fixtures on closing down the program)  ??? ???

Couple of thoughts since last night, Would it make any diffference what the Bios sets the LPT port as (SPP/EHP/EPP or ECP+EHP)....Also, as well as the xml file, I also have to copy a .set file with it, does this mean anything to you ? I am assuming that this provides the set-out for the Mach3 display, as I tried to take it out and then run Mach 3 with the xml file still there but it just gave me a blank screen..

:'(

I love your accent!! don't aplogise for it, its great!
reminds me of Forest Gump... ;D

To add an extra note, I am going to look at the Skype package also!!! just a bit worried that it may affect my bandwidth as we are restricted to 30gb p month and always tend to use this up..
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 09:23:12 AM by Cosyhollow »

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 09:37:36 AM »
LOL, Liutenent Dan got some magic legs.

The safe Z is in the drop down config. menu. Yes, the .set file is your screen that I would like to see as well. As far as the axis not being at zero, that is ok. I always open Mach, ref. all, jog to where I want to start and zero my axis. If you do this and save fixture offset on exit, the next time you fire it up you should be able to ref. all, hit go to z, and it should bee where it was at the first time you zeroed your axis.

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 10:06:07 AM »
Hi there Brett, Thanks again you are really helpful. I actually do not have a Safe Z setup in my Config menu, no wonder I could not find it!
I will go and upload the .set file for you, bear with me a min.....