Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:34:42 AM

Author Topic: Bench Mill Conversion  (Read 4328 times)

Bench Mill Conversion
« on: September 21, 2014, 02:46:17 PM »
At last! I have now got my bench mill converted to Ballscrews 1605 on bath X & Y axis.

I need a little help so here are just a few questions.
I have retained the glass scales as you can see in the picture.
On the Y axis the Main readout shows -42.690 and on Mach3 DRO it shows +42.9837, a difference of 0.29
I have my 'Steps per' set to 800

Question Glass Scale shows a positive readout whilst the other shows a negative readout. I would like them both the same. How do I do this ?
I have two separate micro switches for each of the X & Y axis. For the Y Axis, Switch 1 serves Y++ whilst the other Switch Shares Y-- and Home, Is this the correct setup ?
If I jog to either end of the Y axis, the switches are trigged but I cant Jog back away from them. How do I do this.?

Here's a good one, Under normal milling operations:-
If the table is moving away from me is this a positive or a negative movement ?
If the table is moving from right to left, is this a positive or a negative movement ?

Lots of questions, I hope you may be able to help.

Thanks

George
One step at a time!

Offline rdean

•  94 94
    • View Profile
Re: Bench Mill Conversion
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 03:13:04 PM »
On a bench mill when the table is moving from right to left it is moving in a positive direction.
When the table is moving toward the operator it is moving in a positive direction.

The difference between the glass DRO and Machs DRO is either the steps are not calculated correctly or what you are seeing is backlash or some of both.  Don't expect to see exactly the same readouts in both.

I suspect you  have one of DROs reading backwards setup like above.

Hope it helps

Ray
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 03:36:20 PM »
Hi Ray
Thanks for the response.
Correct, one DRO is reversed, which is correct ?
This may be because the screws that we're remodel (Acme ?) we're handed one left one right.
The two new ballscrew were handed alike.

Big question, wich is correct. . Maybe I should get out the Bathtub go back to my workshop and have a look see at the table movements according to your advice  ;)
Howe do I put the wrong one right ? ???

George
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 03:39:03 PM by Len-Tikular »
One step at a time!

Offline rdean

•  94 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 04:28:55 PM »
If the glass scales is reading correctly then on the X axis motor connections swap the two leads on the "A" phase motor wires.  Move A+ to A- and A- to A+ on the driver.  You could also change the active state of the motor output with the same result.

If the scales are wrong then I don't know what to say other then read the docs from the scales to reverse them.

Ray

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 04:21:32 PM »
Thanks Ray,
The Glass scales are correct as you outlined in your reply.
I will change the Active state of the motor output as you have suggested and give that a try,

As for the 9 Thou difference I will have to persevere to get both the Glass scales and Mach3 Dro reading the same. I'm sure with careful measurement and motor tuning I'll get there.

I still have the remaining question.

I have two separate micro switches for each of the X & Y axis. For the Y Axis, Switch 1 serves Y++ whilst the other Switch Shares Y-- and Home, Is this the correct setup ?
If I jog to either end of the Y axis, the switches are trigged but I cant Jog back away from them. How do I do this.?

Many thanks

George

One step at a time!

Offline rdean

•  94 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 05:37:11 PM »
On the settings screen on the left side there is a button for "Manual Limit Override" that will allow you to jog off a limit switch. 

As for the limit switches you have them set as most other people do but it is up to you how you want the machine to home. Many people home to the left lower corner of the bed as you have it now.

you are welcome
Ray
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 05:18:23 PM »
Hi Ray,
Sorry to bug but I'm still a wee bit confused and I want to make sure I have this correct.

I have attached a PDF of my switch layout and would appreciate if you'd mark them up for me.

Many thanks

George
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 05:23:00 PM by Len-Tikular »
One step at a time!

Offline rdean

•  94 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 06:42:14 PM »
I can not tell from the picture just how your switches are activated by the table but lets try this.

Move the table all the way to the left as you are standing in front of it until it makes the switch. The table is now in the X++ position.
Move the table toward you in the Y axis until it makes the switch.  The table is now in the Y++ position.

Hope this helps

Ray
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 03:56:45 AM »
Thanks Ray,

So X++ and home share the same switch and  X-- is my limit switch
And the same for Y

Thanks

George

One step at a time!

Offline rdean

•  94 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 09:36:50 AM »
All of your switches are limit switches and need to be setup on the input screen.  You can have your Home at either end of the axis travel you like but many people set the home position to X-- and Y-- so it is in the left lower part of the bed.  On the input screen you can set which direction and on which end the home is located.

Ray