Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:18:05 AM

Author Topic: Easy question, I think - 4th axis feed speed  (Read 2184 times)

Easy question, I think - 4th axis feed speed
« on: September 16, 2014, 10:48:48 PM »
So I'm playing with my new 4th axis to learn it. G0 moves are fine. G1 A moves are PAINFULLY slow - about 1 degree every 5 seconds at F2. Now - I understand that the diameter of the work being turned impacts surface IPS- and some googling suggested there was a setting for diameter somewhere - but I cannot find it. I tried the alt-F6/Settings A axis radius setting - didn't seem to make any difference.

I can wrap all the A moves in my code with F100 and back to F2 after - and that works - but ... there must be a way to get a reasonable feed rate with 1-3" diameter work somewhere equivalent to the X and Y axis feed speed.

??

Thanks

/Greg
http://www.blowsmeaway.com

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
Re: Easy question, I think - 4th axis feed speed
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 06:20:16 AM »
That probably means you need to adjust your machine settings for steps/whatever. That you are using F2 suggests that you are working in imperial units?

So if you allow the machine to travel in a g1 move at 2 inchs/minute on the X axis, maybe your settings are also telling the machine to move at 2 degrees/minute. You may need to massively increase the peak speed permitted on the A axis, to something like 720 degrees/minute. And use a higher feed rate.

Cheers
Roger
Re: Easy question, I think - 4th axis feed speed
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 01:10:04 PM »
Figured it out. Before the "rotation radius" in Settings will work, you have to turn on "use radius for feed rate" (and maybe "A Rotations Enabled") in Config:toolpath