Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:12:11 PM

Author Topic: Dwell keeps comming on and i cant shut off spindle even with E Stop  (Read 2823 times)

Hello all, ive been trying to teach myself very slowly and have made some progress so far.  My problem now is that when I run programs such as the wizards or if I write simple stuff on my own, at some point during the run the dwell light starts flashing and the program stops.....but the spindle stays on and F5 does not shut it off, the spindle control on the pc panel does nothing and even pushing the E-Stop wont turn off the spindle. I have to hit the red power off button to stop the spindle. when I do this the entire system freezes and I have to start all over. I also have to re home the machine before I can continue.  I looked in config settings for a setting and I have checked the Dwell in ms  tab in the general config settings, but the machine still does it.  No program I write or have run from wizards, contains a Dwell command. Why does my machine or program software go into the Dwell mode and why cant I shut off the spindle with anything other than the red power button of the machine?  Please help me understand this problem.

thank you

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
Re: Dwell keeps comming on and i cant shut off spindle even with E Stop
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 06:26:40 AM »
I think you have a hardware design problem. Your spindle controller should shut down when you hit eStop - end of story. Fix that first.
You may also have some hardware noise problems.

Cheers
Roger
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 06:52:42 AM »
THANK YOU ROGER I WILL CALL THE VENDER AND HAVE HIM CHECK IT OUT. ABOUT THE NOISE....WOULD THAT TRIGGER THE DWELL MODE TO BECOME ACTIVE?

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 07:50:45 AM »
I am not sure what triggered the dwell mode, but YOu don't have to trigger it. It is automatic when you start or stop a spindle, or even when you change the speed i think.
I suggest tackling one problem at a time :-) The spindle should have a hardware shutdown line which should be under the control of the M3 and M4 signals.

Cheers
roger
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 05:56:23 PM »
The spindle should not only be controlled with dwell but also a relay that disables it on e-stop.  Without the relay the machine is unsafe as you could have a spindle become active during a tool change.  The relay should be wired to only close on active high.  That way if you lose power the spindle is disabled.  In some cases it is prudent to use both a belt and suspenders.

Bob
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 08:45:56 AM »
Thank you bob I'm not the smartest in this area. I called the vender from where I purchased the machine and he has not gotten back to me yet. I'm glad you are quick to mention the safety aspect of this problem. I am being very careful. I appreciate your response greatly.