Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 04:17:17 PM

Author Topic: Mach 3 Galil Setup Problems  (Read 5897 times)

Mach 3 Galil Setup Problems
« on: September 11, 2014, 01:58:13 PM »
Hi I am having some problems with the final stages of linking my Bridgeport Boss 3 to Mach 3 via a DMC 4080.

Mach is Version R3.043.066; Plugin 4.6 and XP   The machine setup is NEMA 42 steppers via Parker S8 drives.  Communication is via Ethernet. I have Linear Interpolation Unchecked

I have the control registered and have hooked up limit switches and e-stop.  The rapids in all axis have been conservatively set to 40 in/m and all jog in the correct directions and away from limit switches.  If I jog an inch on the DRO the machines mechanical measuring system reads 1 inch traversed so the axis are set up pretty well.

My problem is when I enter G codes (i.e. G0 X1 Y1 Z1) through the MDI screen or the Diagnostics screen the motors do not move and I can no longer jog any axis ???.  No fault message appears in the Status window.   If I RESET I can jog again but as soon as I input G-Code nothing happens and no jogging.   I have checked the Step pulses into the drive and none occur when G codes are entered, but are OK when jogging is working.

I have checked and rechecked the setting but must be missing something.  Galil Suit works fine so I guess its to do with the Mach 3 - Galil interface updating?

Help much appreciated

Barry
Re: Mach 3 Galil Setup Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 05:37:01 PM »
Hi, have just reinstalled Mach 3 and the Galil Plugin and re-entered the set up information and the problem still seems to be there.

However, the MDI screen G code entry seems to work fine if I check the MOVE SETTINGS to use LINEAR INTERPOLATION

This is strange as the DMC4080 is an Accelera controller and according to the plugin pdf should be OK with CONTOUR MODE?

Again any help much appreciated

Barry

Offline smurph

•  1,546 1,546
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 02:33:18 PM »
Contour mode is a work in process.  So there may be issues.  I put that in there right about the time I started developing the Mach4 Galil plugin.  And the Mach4 plugin has been keeping me occupied as that is the future.  So stick with Linear mode for the time being.

Why are you using a 4080 to control steppers?  An ESS or HiCON would do a good job for far less money. 

Steve
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 12:15:22 PM »
Hi many thanks, I am using Linear mode and its OK so will stick with that until I hear of any updates.  It seems to be between entering and leaving the MDI/G code entry and jogging.

I am using the 4080 as I got a very good deal on a used one and I am impressed with Galil controllers and the possibility for other control systems.  It might stay on the Bridgeport for a while or be swopped out for a USB smooth stepper which I have in the kit box.  At least with the 4080 I cant blame my tools :)

Barry