Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:39:48 AM

Author Topic: Calibrating machine?  (Read 2509 times)

Calibrating machine?
« on: September 10, 2014, 11:55:50 AM »
I found some instructions for calibrating machines that said to use a movement gauge and I don't have one

I do have a cheapie digital calipers, though.

I was thinking, if I have 10-15 parts in the 4" or 6" square range and they are all consistently undersized, and I calculate the difference in the size I actually got, and the size I anticipated, couldn't I just compute an adjustment to the "steps per" unit for that axis?

I realize this wouldn't be ideal, as I'm including any error in the spindle and the bit I'm using, but the parts I'm getting are pretty consistently undersized by approx. .01" per 4" using two different routers and two different bits now.

Any other suggestions?

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
Re: Calibrating machine?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 01:15:54 PM »
I would try a long steel rule first, over a good distance it's likely more accurate.
Clamp it to the frame with a clear pointer stuck on the moving part and run the axis calibration over the longest distance possible.
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 01:21:03 PM »
I would try a long steel rule first, over a good distance it's likely more accurate.
Clamp it to the frame with a clear pointer stuck on the moving part and run the axis calibration over the longest distance possible.

Oh! That is a good idea.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 01:16:27 PM »
Need Help!!  Starting to use my home built cnc, and not sure if my steps per are calculated correctly.  I am using xylotex 4 Axis 36V 3.5A Drive Box with Four 425 oz.in. Stepper motors with mach 3 on windows xp.  1/2 - 10 5 start lead screws .    MY problems is drawing in vcarve pro, I draw a 24" diameter circle and mach 3 cuts a 12" circle. What am I doing wrong?