Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:34:04 AM

Author Topic: Encoders and DRO's + Softlimit Warnings  (Read 4120 times)

Encoders and DRO's + Softlimit Warnings
« on: March 27, 2007, 07:54:19 AM »
Firstly on the encoder issue, my DRO's changed when i upgraded to 2.00.060. I use DRO's 170,171, and 172, which originally had displayed the encoder position with the offsets factored in. Now my Y axis is showing its position always with the G54 offset added to it, regardless of the active offset. I dont know if Z axis was affected since i dont use any z-offsets, but the X-axis was not. Not only that, before the upgrade i had to set my encoder counts per unit to .2 for the X and Y and .124 for the Z when the encoders put out 1000CPI. Now, after the upgrade, i had to change the Y and Z to 1000, and again the X axis was unchanged. Any ideas on how to get my DRO's working correctly?

The second issue is with the softlimits. All of my movement is within the softlimits, they are close but within limits. Now the first run, i always get a softlimit warning that i can aknowledge and it will run thru without a problem. Then a random amount of runs later, the error will come up again. Its really annoying, especially since the error is hidden behind the mach screen. And i dont want to run without softlimits, in case someone decides to do something wrong and smash up the tool. Any fixes for that?

I can always go back to the original software, but would prefer to use the latest rev.

Thanks,

Max
Re: Encoders and DRO's + Softlimit Warnings
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 10:13:29 AM »
Sounds like there was a code change in Mach3 on the encoders.. We will have a look and see what we can find

Thanks
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 12:36:25 PM »
Howdy!
I am a newbie with a 30x48 Ez-Router.  Occasinally when I try to turn on my Soft Limit switch to zero the Z axis I get a message ...." Machine out of limits for SoftLimit Activation".   I tried regen of the code.   Do I need to home the machine at that point?  Also, should I be running the cut program with softlimits on?    When I do that it always stops and my settings/positions get out of whack.

???
Regards,
Denis Kansier

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 12:56:43 PM »
Dak, to turn on your softlimits you have to be out of the softlimit range. If you are tripping your soft limits while machining, you either need to adjust your soft limits or move your part so that while running, it doesn't come in the range of the softlimits. Most people run with their softlimits on. It is a safety, a software stop that is used to keep you from tearing up anything mechanical.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Hood

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 03:59:59 PM »
Occasinally when I try to turn on my Soft Limit switch to zero the Z axis I get a message ...." Machine out of limits for SoftLimit Activation". 

The softlimits is not a way to zero the axis, it is a software safety. You set the soft limits on the Config, Homing and Limits page. Usually you set them up so that the min and max travel is just short of your physical limits, if you dont have physical limits then enter figures that correspond to the amount of travel you have. The figures you enter are in machine coordinates. Also worth remembering is on a normal setup (Mill with quill etc) usually the X and Y will have all positive numbers but the Z will be all negative.
Hood

Hood
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 12:17:22 PM »
Thanks for your replies......
I reloaded Mach to me back to default settings with the ez-router profile.  This only seems to happen on the Z axis travel.  Today it began making some "odd noises on any positve z jogs.  It only jogs with the softlimit switch disabled.  With the softlimit switch on, it trips it.  I have an email into the guys at ez-router, perhaps I need to look at the actual  Z-axis screw/coupling/motor.

Thanks again!  I'll post any further discoveries.
 :)
Denis