Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 08:16:48 AM

Author Topic: servo hot to the touch  (Read 2788 times)

servo hot to the touch
« on: September 01, 2014, 04:51:38 PM »
Hi Group
Today I was doing some 3d cutting.I was only 30 minutes into the cutting and my Y axis servo motor was too hot to the touch. The z andy axis are doing the most work in the cutting I`m doing. I checked the other axes and the z and x arenot even warm. Any ideas how to troubleshoot this problem. It seems when I restarted I had lost my position. I ran the Y axis by turning the ball screw and it does not seem like the axis is binding.
I was running the machine at 1800 mm per minute. I have in the past, run the cnc at 1800mm perminute without problems.

Regards Barry

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: servo hot to the touch
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 03:47:37 AM »
Most servo motors will have thermal switches in them that will cut out if they get too hot, assuming of course  your servo drives support such an option. Most industrial rated drives do but I dont know what you have.

Regarding losing position, if that is the case then I would say your following error value is set too high, again whether you have the ability to alter that will depend on what drives you have, the cheaper hobby end ones likely wont have too many options.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 09:16:23 AM »
I turned up the stepping and adjusted the motor tuning and turned down the decay and power on the breakout board and the y axis is less hot. When the motor stays locked in at one position for a long time it seems to get hotter. I also put some heat sinks on my motors.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 03:46:28 PM »
If motors are getting hot when idle then that sounds like bad tuning as the motor must be dithering back and forth to keep position. It could of course be the way the drives handle things, I have heard Geckos do that but never used them so its not from personal experience.
Hood