Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 10:17:05 PM

Author Topic: just how deep does a plasma cutters water tray need to be?  (Read 2743 times)

Offline nobby

•  153 153
    • View Profile
just how deep does a plasma cutters water tray need to be?
« on: August 27, 2014, 06:18:43 AM »
I have bought another isel machine with 100mm travel on the z axis. <ballscrew beneath in the centre for x axis
IF my rapid is 10mm 3/8ths
IF my max material to cut is 5mm
DO I simply set my material supports at 85mm
IS 75mm 3 inches of water sufficient
????

or in real terms, can I simply bolt in 100 80-85mm bolts into the beds t-slot 'bed-of-nails stylee' and fashion the tank sides straight to the base too.

furthermore, IF I plan on only cutting 4 and 5mm steel plate, does this warp upon being cut enough to warrant THC?

/\ especially as the sheets will only be 500mm square= max

also can you reassur me that I do in fact want a pilot arc machine torch - a p-80 panasonic affair, as I have just received one.
min nozzle is 1.1mm = what ampers plasma cutter do I need, and thus what 'silent/quiet' compressor will suffice cfm wise.

and lastly, please would you be so kind as to explain sheetcam post processing with regards pilot arc ignition and the downward motion for gouguing / peircing - is this set in sheetcam, I think I am confused as to the 4 pin connector on a pilot arc plasma machine as one pair = switch on, the other two = pilot arc.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 06:24:11 AM by nobby »

Offline nobby

•  153 153
    • View Profile
Re: just how deep does a plasma cutters water tray need to be?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 08:15:34 AM »
also
its 16mm with 5mm pitch
going to run 1/16 micro steps
5mm pitch so 640 steps per in mach3
nema 23 4 wire - so series
36 volts 2.5 amps '56mm long motors'
am I going to get the speed required?
will it stall out at 1/16 640 if I turn the speed up

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
Re: just how deep does a plasma cutters water tray need to be?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 03:04:10 PM »
Wow, that's a lot of info required:)

I'll throw a little in,

My machine takes a 625mm square plate max and yes you really do want a THC with floating head on the z axis, I too thought not but soon learnt, I fitted a cheapo Proma unit but was disappointed with it and am now fitting a better one from CandCNC.

I had a lot of issues with my torch, in the end I sold it and bought a Hypertherm, since fitting that I have had not had one issue with interference etc.

My torch is only 30A and will happily mow it's way through 6mm plate, have even done some 8mm on it.

The socket on the rear of the plasma should be for CNC but what the pins are will only be known by the manufacturer, some options are....
Torch trigger,
Arc Ok,
Divided arc voltage,
Manual/machine torch safety detect.