Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:22:42 AM

Author Topic: ESS and Vista Unidentified network  (Read 4872 times)

ESS and Vista Unidentified network
« on: August 01, 2014, 01:27:52 PM »
 My shop PC is a Vista home basic . When I go to network and sharing and select the local connection and I have set up the TCP/IP to 10.9.9.1 and the subnet to 255.255.255.0  . When I plug in the ESS and power it  up I get the yellow led on the RJ45 and network sharing shows an Unidentifed network. Judging from the amount of posts on Google about unidentified neworks on Vista I see that this is a common problem. I have read quite few of them and have tried the various alleged solutions. None of them have worked to solve my problem.
Any suggestions?
Dan  mauch
Re: ESS and Vista Unidentified network
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 02:40:51 PM »
you mean other that getting rid of Vista, Me or Win8?

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 03:01:16 PM »
The 'unidentified network' means just that, it has no name, it does not mean there is a problem. Anytime you directly connect a PC to an Ethernet device by a direct cable there is no DNS server or router so you have nothing that is going to automatically provide a network name. Any Windows OS will give you the same message, it is nothing to worry about :)
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 06:24:22 PM »
 There was an additional problem that I should have mentioned which was that there was an exclamation mark before the unidentified network. That usually indicates a problem.  But I have partially solved the problem. As I mentioned I tried numerous fixes posted on Google. None of them worked because after I performed the steps that would fix the issue I would do a restart. That was the problem. I should have done  a complete shutdown because today after starting windows and the control panel with the ess connected the ! mark was gone. Mach3 and the ESS work fine.
 But I have another problem. . Mach4 and the ESS plugin apparently don't.  I am using the plugin that Brian provided. Is anyon running mach4hobby with the plugin?
Dan

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 07:06:07 PM »
A PC will keep ARP records for 20 minutes or so as sort of a cheat sheet as to where to find things. When you set the Ethernet adapter to a manual address those ARP records are still there but are now useless. You can do an IP reset or ARP table flush by a command prompt or, like you did just reboot the PC; that way your starting out fresh and Windows will be able to 'find' the ESS.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt