Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:37:51 AM

Author Topic: skipping blocks, random moves, lost communication P4 3.2GHZ Win7, R.066  (Read 5251 times)

Ok I have plenty of random issues running my machine now.  In the past I made 100's of parts on the machine and say a 4% hiccup rate.

Hiccup= skipping blocks, random moves, no making commanded move, freezing or even all out losing communication.  It almost never occurs at the same place.  

The system I have is an ESS w/ the latest driver R.066 Mach3 P4 3.2Ghz 1GB Ram w/ windows 7.  I have almost deleted everything like Google chrome e mail program etc etc.  I tried deleting anti virus but no luck.  This is a totally isolated computer except for the USB stick for transferring G code.    

How do I optimize my system.  At this point I am thinking about upgrading and leaving Mach 3 completely because now the rate of hiccups I am getting is every cycle start something else goes bad and I can't afford that.  

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
If you're running the g-code directly from the USB stick, that could be an issue. Make sure you copy the g-code to the hard drive, and run it directly from the hard drive.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
If you're running the g-code directly from the USB stick, that could be an issue. Make sure you copy the g-code to the hard drive, and run it directly from the hard drive.

Always
Re: skipping blocks, random moves, lost communication P4 3.2GHZ Win7, R.066
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 10:59:04 PM »
I am having a similar problem, however, I am thinking that it is the noise (electrical) from my lousy (Harbor Freight) router. I never get the hiccups when dry running and not having the router motor running.  I get e-stops and am told that a limit tripped, but it does not show which tripped, I am convinced that the switches are not tripping as it take about an 1/8th In travel to actuate them and there are no items that would have done so when it trips.  The problem seems to only exist when the router is running.  Problem can happen within seconds of starting the cuts to 10-15 minutes into the program.

In trying to resolve this problem I went from quick dis-connects at the switches to soldering them.  I isolated all AC power, in particular I moved the routers AC to the opposite side of the gantry, all limit switches have shielded cables grounded at the BOB and kept inches or more from the stepper cables from each other.  Going to install a new router to see if the crappy one I am using is the problem.

When running a program that increments y about .25" and moves x 32 or so inches then increments y again and moves x in the other direction, some times it would skip 4-6 trips down the board and start somewhere 2-3 inches from where it should have been.  Multiple lines of code skipped.  

This is a home built CNC router, running win 7 with WiFi, but not running anything else while using machine.  As this has been built by myself, I am checking every connection, added a terminal block for the limit switch inputs, made sure the BOB is secure and connections tight.  
I will keep you updated if the router is/was the problem

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 11:00:47 PM by Sailor10 »
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 02:47:14 PM »
YOu might be able to use 24Volt signal for the limit switches.  I am also starting to think nothing wrong with my controller.  Problem is from the BOB VFD or drivers.

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 08:33:52 PM »
After weeks of troubleshooting this and other problems, the problem with the skipping blocks and unexpected Limit Switch trips has been resolved.  It seems that the roller on my X axis LS was riding on the rail, and was tripping intermittently.  The problem actually had nothing to do with the router being electrically noisy, just when it was running it added to the total vibrations of the system, enough to cause the switch to activate at different points.  ( I put in a better router just the same)

As far as the skipping of blocks I am assuming that the read ahead, or look ahead of the program caused it to restart when I reset the machine, to begin some blocks further down in the programs.  It only happened when the system E-Stopped due to a limit switch tripping.

I am seriously thinking of getting better switches as even hitting the table with a block of wood would cause a trip, moving or not, router on or off.  In any case, the cause of this problem has been found and resolved.