Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:12:33 PM

Author Topic: Optimization doesn't seem to be working.  (Read 3803 times)

Optimization doesn't seem to be working.
« on: March 24, 2007, 05:26:24 AM »
I have my pcb layout software outputting a the outlines of my pcb traces in a gerber format.  Lazy Cam reads the file in properly, but when trying to make logical sense of the file, it leaves it a mess.  Attached is my gerber file.  As you'll see, after running the optimizer on it skips all over the place during changes which I htink are obviously right next to each other.

I've tried going in and manually 'Join Primitives', but I can never get that option to become active.

Any thoughts on getting this file to run properly?  All the pecking is making the board a mess.

I had to change the extention to tap instead of gbx to upload it.  Lazy Cam appears to rely on extension when parsing files.

PS Art, I read all about why we can't have a layers control button, but it would be MUCH easier to have a single place to edit the depths, feeds, etc of your layers, expecially when you are experimenting with feed rates, and have to change it in all your layers.  Its cumbersome.  Another note, why don't the property tabs behave like normal Window text boxes?  Perhaps I don't understand the mentality.

Thanks,

Gabriel
Re: Optimization doesn't seem to be working.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 11:42:33 PM »
You should not have to optimize that file... a Gerber is a file that should have all the data needed to cut a part. We will look into making the path better but the optimization code is not simple :(
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 03:02:02 PM »
When looking at the file, there are lots of redundant points at the arc/line intersetions that are redundant.  I would think that it would simply these out.  When looking at the file in ACAD, you can see these very small polylines that are single points.  It would be nice if the optimizer found a single point which was already on a line, it would removed it, as it would be 'redundant'.

Also, I have a problem with the excellon importer.  It imports the files, puts up a few holes which aren't right, then locks up the zoom/pan interface.  Thoughts?

Thanks,

Gabriel
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 04:52:21 PM »
Yup, the problem is to many things to draw in to short of a time :( we need to do somthing to make it draw a bit faster...

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 07:09:09 PM »
I don't suspect its a speed thing.  I think its more like a crash thing.  Attached is the file.  There are only like 20 holes and I've had things way more complicated in Lazy Cam.

Thanks,

Gabriel
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 09:06:35 AM »
Okay, I have my Lcam all messed up at this point from adding an other axis :)  so after I get my copy so it will run again I will check the file that you posted and try to find the problem.

thanks
Brian

www.machsupport.com

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 06:27:46 PM »
Hi, Gabriel

Running latest Ver. of LC, Working hear, Under AutoClean Settings, Do you have Optimise Drawing "Checked".

Post your sorce file you load into LC, or let us now the extension for the one you posted last.

Thanks, Chip
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 06:36:00 PM by afn09556 »