Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:52:45 PM

Author Topic: want to go to laptop  (Read 2328 times)

Offline joea

•  12 12
    • View Profile
want to go to laptop
« on: July 15, 2014, 11:36:36 AM »
I am relatively new to cnc building although I have followed this site for some time.  I have put together a small machine(15" x  15" x 4") using  Mach3 with a desktop pc with limited success. It's a learning project.
I have recently upgraded the cpu to 64 bit and added more ram. I wanted to use software that support this. Come to find out Mach3 does not work for 64 bit.

I may have to get a 32 bit machine.

I would like to replace the desktop with a laptop mainly to make the work area more compact; is there a how-to document, tutorial, youtube  video , etc  somewhere that explains things?

. how to connect parallel port to usb?
      . need 5v?
      . turn off power saving feature?
      . probably a few more........

..... thanks   joe

P.s.    I tried to post this on cnczone, but have log-on issues

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
Re: want to go to laptop
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 04:23:10 PM »
You will need to use an external motion control board like SmoothStepper, DSPMC, etc. I have been using the SmoothStepper since it came out and still love them. I sell them too just to be upfront about it. Take a look at: http://www.soigeneris.com/motion_control_and_i_o_boards-list.aspx . The USB board has been out longer and is easier to hook up. The Ethernet version is newer and much more immune to electrical noise so I recommend it for new installations.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
Re: want to go to laptop
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 01:27:37 PM »
As Jeff says, an external motion controller is the only option when you don't have a 32bit machine with a proper parallel port (by proper I mean one that connects directly to the motherboard, i.e. not via USB).

The benefit of getting an external motion controller though, is you could use your 64bit machine. It's only the parallel port driver that requires 32bit.