Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 03:44:04 PM

Author Topic: Trying to notch 25mm 316 stainless may be use wizzards but don't know how  (Read 4883 times)

Hi all,
Hope very much one of you out there can help. I have a Triac, controlled by Mach3 and also have Lazycam.
I am wanting to do something like the in the link but notching 316 stainless 25mm diameter tube 2mm wall thickness. I want to notch the tube to fit over 25mm tube so 25 into 25 at 90 degrees. I need to do 14 bits so if anyone has any advice for a novice on how to best do this in Mach3 cutter choice, coolant and so I would be real grateful of the chance to learn from the experts. I think some help on Wizards would be handy as I have no idea on how to use them I can't find much on them in the Mach3 manual

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rMVbR6e1TQ
Many thanks in advance for any help
Steve
Hi Steve its Jim from Brum, you already have the answer to understanding wizard features on Mach. You were one click away, good old YouTube have lots of examples on how to use them. Just type in "Youtube Mach wizard videos". The beauty of them is they do the preparation lines for you, putting all the correct G and M codes in. Just be aware that if you go back to make a small alteration check all your figures you put in as Mach default to the set display (unless you save your new settings).  I have broken many cutters and drilled my machine table when I have forgot this point. The text engraving video give the best example. One thing to remember is to name the file with something relevant when you save the final program in your program folder as Mach calls them all the same so if you reuse wizard it over-writes the last one.
Regarding your stainless tube, the program you are using seems to be cutting a lot of fresh air, so will have a look at possible programs and get back to you via a personal message in the next couple of days. Unless you are retired like me so time is not a problem. I go out and do a bit of gardening whilst waiting for the program to finish.
Could you use a 25mm end mill and plunge feed down in the Z axis.
Jim

« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 02:10:22 AM by jimthefish »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
I usually use the Arc wizard for such things, I usually set the sweep to be about 200 degrees (depends on cutter size) so that it is clear in the Z. I then edit the code to rapid down in Z on each pass rather than the feed move that the wizard will produce. Just saves a bit of time.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Oh another method I have used is, if I have a rotabroach type cutter the correct diameter then I will just plunge with it, makes short work of doing this but obviously you only can do the one size per cutter.
Hood
Hi Jim,

Many thanks for your msg and advice. Your thoughts are of help but I wish mach had more on wizards in their manual. I will try and find the right video on YouTube. I will also have another look at the wizards and hope for luck. I find the CNC side of things difficult to learn, wish I worked in a machine shop where I could pick things up! I did wonder about drawing the arc and trying to do something in lazycam. I would like to try with a 25mm cutter and just use the z but I don't have one and if I was to buy one I doubt I would use it much. I would try a 25mm hole saw but they seem a bit crude for my milll and I don't have a chuck for it yet as I am still searching for  a good one to go for. Anyhow if you think on anything for me I would be very grateful. Happy gardening and machining!
Thanks again
All the best
Steve
Hi Steve here is the link

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=youtube+Mach+wizard+videos

Why don't you make a fly cutter from an broken centre drill and a bit of mild steel
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 04:16:53 PM by jimthefish »
Hi Jim,

Many thanks for the link and your thoughts. I have no idea how to make a fly cutter but sure it is a good idea with sufficent know how. I shall watch some videos tonight.

All the best

Steve
Hi Hood,

Many thanks for your messages and help. I will try and study the arc wizard more I just wish I had some instructions! I see what you mean with the right size cutter and that is probably the way I will go for ease but it sure would be fun to work out the wizard and see it work like in the video. I wish I was better at CNC and CAM side of things but I will keep trying and hope I make progress soon!

All the best

Steve

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
The NewFangled wizards have graphics which help a bit but you have to purchase them. If using the free wizards then its a bit of a mixed bunch as they were done by various users over the years so graphics and descriptions can be a bit unintuitive at times. If however you just plug in some numbers then press Post Code, you should see the toolpath and you can then try a few different settings and again post code. You should soon see how things work.
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Steve,

There is a wizard called Andy's Circle Routines that is easy to use.

Here is a link to a Wizard list that you may want to look at:
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,10434.msg64469.html#msg64469

Link to the routine:
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,2802.msg61190.html#msg61190

RICH
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 05:22:05 AM by RICH »