Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 11:05:04 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 ACPI and windows 7 - maybe helpful information  (Read 3034 times)

Offline Rimmel

•  207 207
    • View Profile
Mach3 ACPI and windows 7 - maybe helpful information
« on: June 22, 2014, 06:55:11 AM »
Hi, got a Denford Milling machine converted to Mach3, it was running on an AMD desktop but had all sorts of issues with the LPT port. So I was scouting around for an old XP compatible machine when I came across a Dual Core laptop in the cupboard. It has Windows 7 installed on it - so I thought what the hell I'll give a try.

I disabled all non essential services/updates mechanisms, setting the power plan to High performance, disabling sound card etc and initially things went OK. Then after 15 - 20 minutes of starting I would lose control of the Z, Y and A axis. Strangely the X axis was unaffected. This happened 100% of the time.

On many newer (win7 era) laptops and desktops for that matter you cannot disable ACPI in the BIOS (this laptop included) so that wasn't an option - I was just about to give up on it and I read that other people (not mach3 related) who were suffering latency problems whilst gaming disabled the ACPI Battery and their problems went away..

I tried this and haven't had a single problem since. That was 2 days ago and the machine has been running a test program almost 24/7.

It may help someone.

cheers
Rim

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 ACPI and windows 7 - maybe helpful information
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 04:30:03 AM »
Excellent information Rim - thanks for posting.

Tweakie.
PEACE