Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:57:28 PM

Author Topic: please help new at all this and frustrated  (Read 3219 times)

please help new at all this and frustrated
« on: June 21, 2014, 04:13:50 PM »
Hello,
I purchased a cnc 3020T online from Ebay. I know its a Chinese version but thought it would work for the simple engraving. I have a trophy shop and just need this to engrave simple text on steel and aluminum. I have never used a cnc or mach3 before. I have the program installed and got all 3 axis to respond but now I don't know what to do. How do I get my text set up in the gcode required. I have been reading and watching videos online for almost 2 weeks. I am to the point of giving up and sending this back. I don't know if I'm supposed to set the axis at a certain place or it will know automatically. Please help!!! :-[. Also the mach3 I downloaded didn't come with a sample to try either and can't find anything online.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: please help new at all this and frustrated
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 04:43:15 PM »
Mach3 is the programme that will control your servo/stepper drives from the G Code you enter. There are some wizards in Mach that allow you to input some details and it will produce the  G Code for you, one of them is the Write Wizard which may be what you are looking for.
 Failing that you will need to get a CAD/CAM programme to produce the code for you or you will have to learn G Code and produce the code manually (not easy especially for a beginner)

There are a few test codes with Mach, roadrunner etc, you will find them in the G Code folder inside the Mach folder.

You need to tell Mach where to start, ie you move to where you want the X, Y and Z zero position to be and press the Zero buttons at the side of the X Y and Z DROs.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 06:01:55 PM »
Thanks for the information Hood. Just to make sure I'm correct if I place my x and y axis where I want it on the Machine and then zero them out in mach that's where it will start? I opened my mach folder under gcodes and it's blank.
The write wizard is this something I can download or is it already a part of mach3?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 08:14:58 AM »
The G Code folder in Mach should not be empty, it may be that you have the file type box on a different file type, choose All types from that list and see whats there.

If you zero the DROs out then that sets a work offset and that point will be Zero for that offset. If you regen the toolpath you will see if it looks right, if not it may be because your zero point in the G Code is well away from the part itself.

Hood
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 07:36:58 PM »
So I finally got some progress. I have the machine and the mach3 speaking. I set up as directions say. However when I try to set homing and limits as instructed. When I hit ref all home the z axis or spindle goes up and counts up but when it reaches the top the mach keeps going and not stopping the axis. Help.
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 11:58:32 PM »
You might need to look into calibrating your machine distances using the Set Steps Per Unit on the Settings page.

Here's a youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkO5tc-jSxw