Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:41:47 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 Sherline Rotary Magic Number  (Read 7125 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 Sherline Rotary Magic Number
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 06:12:36 PM »
Keith,

It should be degrees. Now if the the rotary was configured as linear then it would be inches.

Try this, tell it 360 with your current settings, see what the A axis dro actualy says, then put that dro reading as how far it actualy moved, then it will calculate and tell you what the steps per unit should be.

RICH

Offline Keith

•  187 187
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 10:21:59 AM »
That was right on, Rich. And thanks again. Used the calibrate and indeed it changed steps per to 160.
Now I'm just having to find a reasonable velocity and acceleration. When I use the 'tab' for the MPG mode and set the jog rate for 100% and use hotkeys to move, all is well at some good velocities. But when I do an A0 move or an A01 move, I get a clunk when it starts out; worse at different velocities and accelerations. Might just be a mechanical thing since I refurbished the rotary recently. But still it's odd that it happens only in the manual screen for moves.
But anyway, thanks for all your correspondence. -Keith

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 04:43:53 AM »
Keith,
A rotary table can have  have backlash and you should check to see how much yours has. One should take out the backlash before indexing and
then move in one direction until finished indexing for a task.

A0 and there should be no movement if you are at A0, but depends on the your configuration ( reply #5 ). Not sure but A01 may be interperted as 1 degree.

For acceleration adjust the velocity until it skips, then lower by say 50 %, then start increasing the accel until it skips and reduce that by 50%.
Then refine both by rotating from  different starting locations about the rotation in both directions. Just need to play around.

The clunk probably is just the backlash being taken up and as the velocity / accel increase so will the force of engagemant of the screw and gear, and also the start and stop of the stepper. Just jog the rotary in very small increments and you will hear the stepper clunk / step even though the 
table is not moving.

RICH

Offline Keith

•  187 187
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 07:59:07 AM »
Thanks Rich. Took all your advice and since there's some wiggle room adjustment of where the worm gear 'sits', I very slightly loosened the bolts that allow for that and very slowly rotated in both directions so it could find it's own place to sit without any lash and low and behold, I'm in action. Works beautifully.
You've been a great help. Thanks, Keith

Offline Keith

•  187 187
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 08:00:43 AM »
Oh and that was a typo (A01) I meant G01 A0 as opposed to a G0 A0.