Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:58:26 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 home switch question  (Read 2184 times)

Mach3 home switch question
« on: June 13, 2014, 11:35:32 PM »
Hello,

First post here new user and 72hrs new to CNC. I purchased a like new Taig (Deepgroove) machine and using my old AMD computer I managed to set it up and run some test gcode from CAmBam. I want to be able to home this machine to be able to do engraving for my business. I have read many threads on home/limit switches and am still confused as to wiring the home switch. Do I wire to the G540 card or do I need a breakout box. If I need a breakout box I am open to suggestions. Please keep in mind this is not a hobby for me  it is a tool to use in my business so the KISS principle applies. Please don't take the last statement in a bad way I am amazed at the level individuals have taken these machines and the brilliant way they create a solution to a issue and share it. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I currently engrave on a 1948 Kuhmann Pantograph, mill on a 1984 Alliant 9x42, and turn on a Jet 13x40 all manual.

I have however caught this bug and look forward to taking some cnc classes at the JC this fall.

Here is what I am running
mach3
Taig 2019 (deepgroove)
G540 controller

Do I need a breakout box to run Home Switches
Recommended box if needed.

Thank you all.

Jim
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 11:38:56 PM by jroberts1968 »
Re: Mach3 home switch question
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 12:28:30 AM »
Jim,
What exactly do you need the home switches for? Typically they are needed on machine with auto tool changers or if you are running jobs that take days and you want to turn the machine off each night.  Otherwise you don't really need them.  My limits are wired just to keep from crashing against the ends and damaging the machine. They actually turn off the DC to drives without any connection to Mach 3 and are in series with the E-stop and an electrically held contactor with a reset button.  However I did connect them to the Mach 3 inputs and can home to them if I hold in the reset button so they don't trip off the power during homing.  All that  said though, I don't actually home to them. I just pick up XYZ on my part and set all the DROs to zero and go to work.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Mach3 home switch question
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 06:37:34 AM »
The G540 manual shows how to connect home switches too it.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html