Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:43:28 AM

Author Topic: Setting up new computer  (Read 3737 times)

Setting up new computer
« on: June 13, 2014, 11:32:51 AM »
So, went and got a newer computer, but it did not have the parallel ports I needed on back, so go a card installed it.  Problem is its not sending the information to the Candcnc THC and wont move the head.  Works on the screen but wont move the unit itself.  Can someone help me.  IS there some settings I need to do to get this to work?  Went with windows 7 larger hard drive and memory.  Did take to a computer shop to make sure driver where installed right for the ports.  Are there other divers I need to install?

Thanks
Sharn
Re: Setting up new computer
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 03:23:51 PM »
Hi, there is another chap with the same problem on a similar thread. There is a lot of LPT (Parallel Port) Cards on the market A lot of which are not suitable for the use you intend as they are not have a Bi-Directional. i.e. it might work an LPT  Printer okay but it may not work a mill. Secondly, in my experience some of these so called ‘Experts’ in computer shops are not properly trained or experienced to resolve any problems with most Add-in Cards.

Best advice would be to either take your machine back to the place where they fitted the card and ask them to resolve the problem you have paid them to do. if you don’t want to do that come back and I should be able to talk you through a re-installation.
God created Ale to make us all happy ..... 8)
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 04:33:22 PM »
Thank you for replying.  I went and called and talked to the computer tech and we are figuring that the Parallel port is not compatiable with the THC, so he was going to get me a legacy PP like they had in the dells, like what was in our original computer.
We have been able to hook it up to a mouse and the ports work but just not with the THC we have from CandCNC.  Are there card that you would recommend using?

Thanks
Sharon
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 04:52:04 PM »
Also the card I have currenty had the add also for the serial port, sense the newer computer have neither.  Just want to get the right card into the machine, Mach 3 seem really stable in the machine, just need to get the head to move.  And because of not having the right card and having no idea which one to get is just bothing me right now.  Don't get me started on if my husband had to do this.  LOL  He would be blowing his top.  LOL
I just figured it I know what card to get, need both a parallel port and a serial port add on card, I could have this up and running in no time.

Thanks
Sharon

PS made sure I went with a machine running 32 bit Windows 7.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 06:41:38 PM »
Just had another dopey idea.  ::) Take a look on the motherboard as sometimes there is a set of Pin Headers which is the LPT Parallel Port. In that case it is simply a matter of a Plug-in Finger Port to take it to the outside world. there is one on FeeBay item number:290928969188. Might be worth a look.
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 01:26:38 PM »
Ok, so went and bought another card sense after reading people where having problems with certain cards.  The Rosewell card was one I found that others had used in there CNC machines.  So, had Amazon overnight it to me, and have installed it, but still no movement from the head.  AWWWWWWWWWWWW, now I know it probably user error(MINE) and I am not doing something right inside the computer itself, not turning something on, not configuring it right, something.   PLEASE, someone help me, well make a long distance call, have no problem, or someone can call me and just walk me threw PLEASE.

402-314-5303

32 Bit, Compex desktop, running windows 7.  Have a CandCNC THC box running my head, and getting no movement out of it, but Mach 3 is responding with no problems.  Don't have any clue with what I am doing wrong.

Thanks
Sharon
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 04:36:05 PM »
Hi again, I don’t know how much help I can be in so much as calling you, I'm in the UK and international calls are a bit pricey.  :-\ Firstly, have you contacted the other guy who is having similar problems with Windows 7 and the LPT Port. He is sitting in the post below yours called 'finding Hex Address' Just an idea as I have a feeling that your problems are very similar.

If I were sitting in front of your PC, firstly I would power the PC down and pull out the Add-In LPT. (Leave the Lid Off) then re-boot it. I would then carry out a system restore to as far back as I could. You should find that in your Control Panel or under System Maintenance. If this is a new install then perhaps consider a factory reset, (Full Install)  either way you need to flush out all the dross that has been installed, correctly or incorrectly.

Power down and fit the Add-In LPT Card, Windows should object and shout at you  for the drivers. Stick the CD that came with the card into the Disc Drive and let it have its way with it.  :D

If you need to do a full system reset, then before you begin, power down again and fit the add in LPT card. As part of the install Windows should ask you for the drivers.
If it doesn’t ask you for the drivers than when you finished either a system restore or a re-install then interrogate the CD. Look for something like Setup or Install. Try to force an install Make sure that Windows 7 is supported with the correct driver instance. If it doesn’t say Windows 7 then you may have to download it from the manufactures website. Google the card manufacturer not using the word ‘Drivers’ in any of the search string... 

I have Googled your card and apparently it is available in PCI and PCIe flavours. It may be usuful to know which one it is have fitted. There is also Enhanced Parallel Port (EPP) and Enhanced Communications Port (ECP) colours and shades. It’s a bit of a minefield for the unwary. Let us know how you get on.     
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 08:40:59 PM »
Thanks for all your help.  Come to find out after reading other posts on some of the same issues, I as a dummy did not have the address in the posts and pins in Mach 3 set up right.  Had to go into device manager and get the right address and go into config settings and set the address right.  There I as able to read some other posts about getting the right address and setting it up right. Once I did that right, it started to move.   :D 
Actually had husband shocked, because he was ready to toss the computer out the door and just use his old one. ;D

How, I think there is just going to need alittle tweeking and everything I think will work just fine.  One question I have tho is, the computer I currently have I believe has an intergrated graffics card in it, but seems to be working just fine   ???  Just wondering what that is all about?

Can move the head and everything seems to be working so far, but as I know there are going to be some other things that come up and need to be good threw.

Thanks sooo much for your help.  Just takes a determined women to get it fixed.  :-*
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 10:26:35 AM »
Glad to see you fixed it.. The whole CNC and Mach3 world is a massive learning curve. If you had come back and said you still had not got it work, then the next recommendation would be to go down to your local Flea Market of Boot Sale and spend 30 bucks on an old banger. Anything would do so long asi it will support an instance of Win XP and it has a a Parallel Port.

The bottom line in my (limited) experience Mach3 doesn't need a 'supa dupa computa' boatloads of processing power and oodles of ram.

An integrated Graphics Card is that the Graphics are processed on your motherboard with a dedicated graphics processor sharing the graphics memory with your main memory as an overhead.
Personally, I don’t like using the Integrated Graphics, I prefer using an Add-In Graphics Card. 
The bottom line is if it isn't broken then don't FIX IT....

Good to see your problem is resolved though. I’ll keep your number as we might pop-in for a brew and to see how you are getting on the next time we come across the pond.