Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:15:18 AM

Author Topic: finding hex address  (Read 8480 times)

finding hex address
« on: June 11, 2014, 09:46:58 PM »
Can anyone tell me how to find the hex address of my parallel port? I'm using a parallel card that worked before upgrade. i just upgraded my machine and i think the address is now wrong. My machine doesn't move even though DRO's show movement. i think the address is wrong not letting computer talk to machine. if i go to device manager and click on the Mach driver the resources tab isn't available to find hex address. is there a way to find this through a dos prompt or power shell? help please.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: finding hex address
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 02:57:31 AM »
Look in device manager for the port and on its resources tab you will see the address.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 04:49:20 AM »
Hi, had a similar problem a while back. You will find your LPT Port Address at Contro Panel>System Should Open a Dialogue Box Sytem Properties. Select the  Hardware Tab Click the Device Manager Option then Click Ports, COM & LPT Then double click ECP Printer Printer Port (LPT1) should open another Dialogue Box ECP Printer Printer Port (LPT1) Properties.  Selecting the Resources Tab should display the LPT I/O Range which is normally 0378 - 037F

Hope this helps

God created Ale to make us all happy ..... 8)
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 07:07:57 AM »
I've tried that but refer to original post, the resources tab isn't available when i check that way thus the need to do it another way. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 07:58:32 AM »
If its XP then you can click
Start
All Programmes
Accessories
System Tools
System Information
Components
Ports
Parallel

You should then see the info there.
Hood

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 07:40:20 PM »
I'm using windows 7   32 bit. i tried the system information and under parallel it lists nothing. I've looked all over in system info and system config with no luck.
does anyone have any other ideas?
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 03:41:27 AM »
Don't you just love technology... I would try setting your Mach3 Parallel Port to 0378 and see what happens. This sounds like a fairly new PC (couple of year’s old maximum) and I'm a sucker for dopey questions but here goes: "is the Parallel Printer Port part of the System Board or is it an Add In Card in one of the PCI or PCIe slots?? The reason I ask is that if it's an Add In Card, are the drivers for it installed correctly...  
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 03:44:27 AM by Buggalugs »
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 07:14:35 AM »
Yes it is an add on. I have reinstalled the drivers with no luck. The frustrating part is that it worked before i added the new SSD and video card. tonight I'm pulling the video card to see if that makes a difference, then the SSD to see if that effects anything. I'll let you know if i find a fix. I'll probably find out that the parallel card is bad and I've been "chasing my tail" all week.
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 09:39:06 AM »
Oh Well, sometimes the dopey question hits the nail.  ::) You will probably find that the driver you installed Windows 7 wouldn't have it. For my money, I would pull the lot and start over from scratch installing the LPT Card (Parallel Port) first making sure that you have the correct drivers. You should be able to see the LPT Card in your Device Manager. Then add the other bits and bobs one at time.

You said that, 'The frustrating part is that it worked before.' Don't be too concerned about it, "Windows is like that" !!  :o
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 04:20:22 PM »
Finally found the problem. after totally starting from scratch (complete system refresh) i got the machine back running again. then i started my upgrade 1 piece at a time. when i got to the last piece, my new video card, everything stopped working. BINGO!!  Put old video card back in and re installed old drivers its back working again. now if i can just figure out why they conflict. any ideas???