Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:21:21 PM

Author Topic: Looping E-stop through relay on breakout board.  (Read 2829 times)

Looping E-stop through relay on breakout board.
« on: June 11, 2014, 03:01:10 AM »
I'm fitting Mach3 with a CM106 combined breakout board with an Ethermet Smoothstepper to my milling machine. There's a 24V emergency stop circuit and safety relay that can only be latched by the 'Machine on' button once all of the series connected Emergency Stop switches are closed.
Ideally I'd like to include a Normally Open relay on the CM106 board in that loop to make absolutely certain that if Mach3 isn't running, I can't power up the very powerful AC-Servos.
Is this possible, and if so what would I need to set up in Mach3 to do this?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Looping E-stop through relay on breakout board.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 08:53:28 PM »
Maybe use one of the enables to pull in the relay.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 02:36:53 AM »
I'm not sure how that would work, it's a bit of a Chicken and Egg situation.
Mach3 and the ESS seem to power up safe, but at the moment I can press Machine On and allow power to the servo system without Mach3 being booted.
That's really not good, I'd like mach3 to close a relay to say it's booted and to open it on exit from the program.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 03:09:40 AM »
If you use one the enable outputs from Mach then the relay will close only when you take Mach out of Reset. If Mach E-Stops the  Enable will be taken away and the relay will open.
Depending on the servo drive however there may be better ways, below is a pdf of the way I do it on one machine.

Hood
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 03:18:13 AM »
Thanks for that, maybe I'll just do it that way.