Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 02:35:58 AM

Author Topic: Probotix/Startech/Win7/Mach3/CompaqDesktop...HELP!  (Read 16100 times)

Probotix/Startech/Win7/Mach3/CompaqDesktop...HELP!
« on: June 09, 2014, 05:03:13 PM »
So i'm really new at CNC but pretty experienced with computers/electronics.  I cannot get my new Probotix Fireball x90 to work with Mach 3. 

Configuration:  Old Compaq desktop with Startech (PCI1PECP) parallel card in the only PCI slot.  Running Win7(64bit).  I checked the Device Manager, and it's showing 0xEC00 and 0xE880 as the start of the two memory ranges.  The probotix driver is the PBX-2 (parallel port with USB as power for the logic circuit).

I've loaded the configuration from the Probotix site and tried both parallel port ranges.  The steppers are powered and holding, but I cannot get any action going.  (NOTE:  when I reboot the computer or make any changes to the card via Device Manager, the motors do a split-second jitter). I've installed the emergency switch according to the diagrams and tried see if input is going from the controller to Mach3, but the software isn't seeing the switch changes in Diagnostics.  I'm not sure if the problem is with the Mach3 to Parallel card or Parallel card to PBX-2. 

I've spent about 30 hours with various troubleshooting (reconnecting, re-installing, cursing, throwing of tantrums, taking multimeter readings, and begging from whatever deity may listen) and can't get this thing working.  I really think the Startech card and Mach3 may be the issue...thinking of buying the addressable card but want to eliminate other possibilities before shelling out the $70.

Re: Probotix/Startech/Win7/Mach3/CompaqDesktop...HELP!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 09:54:32 PM »
I think Mach3 is a 32bit program. Maybe that is your issue. (see quoted requirements below)
I run the Probotix equipment for my home built router and I found their setup data to be very confusing, but I managed to get it all working.
Do you get the power LEDS on the BOB and driver boards coming on?
Post up a pic of how you wired the switches etc and I'll see if I can help.

Software Requirements
Mach3 Minimum Recommended Requirements:

*Use of Parallel Port for machine control only on 32-bit versions of windows.
32-bit Desktop – Parallel Port Requirements

32-bit version of Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
    1Ghz CPU
    512MB RAM
    Non-integrated Video Card with 32MB RAM(Large G-code files, especially 3D files will require a video card with 512MB RAM or higher)

Laptop, 32 or 64-bit Desktop – External Motion Controller Only

An appropriate external motion controller (options can be found on the Plugins page)
    Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8
    1Ghz CPU
    512MB RAM
    Video Card with 32MB RAM(Large G-code files, especially 3D files will require a video card with 512MB RAM or higher)

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 07:12:08 AM »
Thanks! I'm going to try installing a 32bit version tonight and will follow up with the results.  btw, yes I do get the LEDs on the BOB.  the PXB-2 uses a USB cable to supply the 5vdc logic power.  --Patrick
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 09:09:41 PM »
SUCCESS!!!!  THANK YOU!  Yep, the whole issue was 64bit vs. 32bit.  Re-imaged the system with Win7 32bit and it came to life.  The sweet sweet music of steppers doing their magic now fill my heart with joy!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 03:22:36 AM »
The 30 hrs of cursing and tantrums is all in the past now.
Glad you're up and running now.
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 10:08:01 PM »
i am having prob with my printer port,actually my pc wasnt has printer port hence i installed serial printer port thru connector provided on mother board.after driver installetions etc when i connect my chines BOB,all 4 LEDs goes on and motors dosnt move instead gets hot.my pc has win xp sp3.my other pc has same os but had built in printer port n BOB WORKS GREAT ON OTHER PC,kindly help to resolve.
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 03:44:21 AM »
Hi nkavinash,
don't think your serial to parallel port will work. It seems the Mach3 PP driver will work only with PCI cards. I presume it will also work with PCIe cards but
have not read a post which confirms that.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'