Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:35:35 PM

Author Topic: Step jog wierdness.  (Read 3388 times)

Step jog wierdness.
« on: May 27, 2014, 09:51:59 PM »
I use Mill infrequently and freely admit the problem is surely self induced.  I use Turn a lot more often & have fewer problems with it.

I frequently use Jog in the step mode, holding down the ctrl key to invoke it.  It'll work as normal for a while but for some unknown reason, I'll press ctrl + an up/down arrow or pg up/pg down key & nothing happens.  Once this occurs, regular jog won't work either unless I press the esc key and then it starts working again but as soon as I press ctrl for a step jog it quits.  The only way to get it going again is to close/re-open Mach.  Also, whenever it's in the ignore mode, MDI commands don't work either.  I can type in a command but nothing happens when I press enter.

Another clue is I found is that if I load a program or run a wizard that generates a  standard beginning line of code, normal operation returns for a while until whatever I do that pi$$es it off happens.  Any ideas?

Milton from Tennessee ya'll.
Re: Step jog wierdness.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 11:19:41 AM »
OK, so it looks like nobody has seen this issue so my next question is what version of Mach do most folks use for Mill?  I've been using v.057 since it seems to do pretty well with Turn but maybe it has a quirk when using it for Mill?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 12:04:25 PM »
Hi Dickeybird

Can't say that I have ever encountered the problem you are experiencing so can offer no advice.

If it's any help, I use v.056 with my Mill / CNC and this seems to perform the best for me.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 03:22:32 PM »
Hi Dickeybird, I had a similar problem lately. I use the Tab and mouse key to Jog and had the same problem, sometimes the axis would not move sometimes move in the same direction even when pressing the + or minus icon. So used the computer keyboard direction keys  with the same result. Programs run OK with no faults. In the end replaced the keyboard and all works OK. A workshop is a hostile place for a standard keyboard so try changing it. Hope this helps. Jim
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 06:01:24 PM »
Thanks Jim, makes good sense.  If that's it I'm gonna feel pretty stoopid...but I'm used to that.:)
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 05:48:21 PM »
Thanks Jim, makes good sense.  If that's it I'm gonna feel pretty stoopid...but I'm used to that.:)
Old thread revival but it may help someone down the road.  I've been doing a lot of lathe work and just now got around to using the mill.  The step-jog wierdness was still there.  I switched out the keyboard & voila, the fault is gone!  Yup, it feels pretty stoopid.
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 02:17:04 AM »
Hi Dickeybird, when I first read you post I hadn't got my glasses on and read it as "swilled out the keyboard with Vodka" however glad you've sorted out your problem. Keep your own recovery going mate, best wishes from this side of the pond. Jim
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 06:17:25 PM »
Hi Dickeybird, when I first read you post I hadn't got my glasses on and read it as "swilled out the keyboard with Vodka"
Sounds like your brain is pre-disposed to old adages like "If the only tool you you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."  (Or more apropos "Everything can  be made better with the application of Vodka.") ;)

(...and thanks for the well wishes.)