Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:05:29 AM

Author Topic: Chinese router setup  (Read 2902 times)

Chinese router setup
« on: May 23, 2014, 08:36:28 AM »
Hi, new to all this and seeking some advice. I have a Chinese router which the manufacturer assures me is set up for Mach3 and has supplied screen dump of port & pin configuration. However, the settings seem to contradict those in a user manual for the breakout board which I found on the internet.
E.G. Manufacturer - X axis Step pin 2, Dir pin 3, Dir Low cross, Step Low check.
BOB User Manual - X axis Step pin 3, Dir pin 2, Dir Low check, Step Low check.
The BOB in question is a UIM2901-5A Mach3
What would be the effect on the machine motors if the step and direction pins were reversed?
What defines whether the step and direction pulses are checked active low or not?
I'd like to fully understand this before I run the machine so any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
J.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese router setup
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 09:16:24 AM »
Hi Jim,

It won't actually do any harm if the step and direction pins are wrong - it just will not work. Similar story for the step / direction active state. My suggestion would be to experiment until you get it right then note the settings for future reference.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 09:23:15 AM »
Many thanks for your quick response.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 03:52:58 PM »
Thanks again for your support, however, I have tried various pin configurations and can't get the motors on my machine to move at all. On the face of it Mach3 seems to be running OK on my PC. The driver test looks good, the DRO's change in a sensible direction and speed when I jog, and it will run through a g-code programme normally, but I can't get it to replicate that with any of the axes or spindle motors!!!!!
Pins were set up as instructed by the manufacturer (pins 2-7) and also tried with their step and directions reversed in line with the BOB user manual. Active high/low values have been tried in all different configurations.
The motor tuning has been set up in line with manufacturers instruction with steps of 1066.6667, speed 1000, acel 200 for each axis.
The Estop has been configured and works fine.
The limit switches were enabled and tested and all worked lighting the relevant led's on the diagnostic screen.
On the diagnostic screen, the port 1 pin status shows 2 lines of 12 led's each. On my screen the first 8 on the top line are permanently lit unless the estop or limit switches are triggered and then the relevant light goes out.
I am now at a loss as to why my motors don't work. Can you shed any light on it.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 02:40:38 AM »
Hi Jim,

When you power up the machine do the stepper motors 'lock' or are they free to be rotated by hand ?

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 09:42:31 AM »
Hi Tweakie,
The axes can be moved before power up but not afterwards.
Step and direction ports are set to 1. Sherline makes no difference. By fiddling around I have been able to move the 3 axes but only in the + direction. For example: with only the y motor enabled and using pins 5 & 6 the +Yjog will move the axis in the +Y direction. The -Yjog will also move it in the +Y direction. If I try to setup another axis a similar thing may or may not happen but if I return to exactly the same configuration which moved the Y before, it won't do anything. There seems to be no cosistancy to what will or won't drive the motors.
When I run the Mach3 driver test, the pulse line is pretty flat but starts at the top of the graph axis at about 80 micro seconds and slowly works down to be steady at about 40. Is this normal?
Hope you can help.
James

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 12:04:05 PM »
When I run the Mach3 driver test, the pulse line is pretty flat but starts at the top of the graph axis at about 80 micro seconds and slowly works down to be steady at about 40. Is this normal?

The driver test should look something like this.

Tweakie.
PEACE