Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:38:29 PM

Author Topic: OS resources for M3?  (Read 3197 times)

OS resources for M3?
« on: May 20, 2014, 03:09:44 AM »
Hi,
I have bought a single board computer and a windows 7 embedded standard license. Hoping to set up OS as a stand alone controller running M3.

Hoping someone out there may know what sort of resources M3 requires, .NET2 or .NET3 for instance, maybe even a list....

Could be a long lonely battle....

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: OS resources for M3?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 10:38:19 PM »
One would think that after all these years of people running Mach3 that it would be common knowledge WHAT the MINIMUM OS load would be for Mach3 to run.

Sadly there is no such list.

(;-) TP
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 07:06:23 AM »
Bugger!

I started wondering today if it might be possible to identify components/resources in XP, after all Mach3 seems to be a 'native' XP app.

Any added functions in later windows releases are probably not required and could therefore be left out.

To the best of my knowledge the best source of documentation about the supported functions in XP come from XP Embedded software docs.

Any XP features not required by Mach3 is a different matter...

Thanks for your reply, I'm not quite alone! :)
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 04:43:05 AM »
I have finally received my single board computer and installed Windows Embedded Standard 7(WES7) and Mach3 and it runs great, or at least better than my old XP machine.

To date have installed in 'compatibility' mode which means all the bells and whistles, almost indentical to the retail Windows 7. Early testing of Mach3 suggests that it is running
better than my single core XP machine, and given the Atom board is dual core should be no surprise.

Whether installing a subset of Windows as per 'embedded' practice will result in further improvements remains to be seen. My guess is that no improvement will be had but
suspect that the operating system will be more stable which is to my mind as good.

To give Microsoft their due WES7 is pretty easy to install and configure. I'm no computer geek and I achieved it while only tearing out half my hair!
I bought 'Professionals Guide to Windows Embedded Standard 7' by S Liming and found it very worthwhile. One of the references in there to 'Windows Internals' is also a good
read if you have the stomach for that sort of thing. It makes plain why Windows is a poor candidate for a real-time system and reinforces my belief that Mach3 performing as well
as it does under Windows is a miracle.

Craig