Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:29:14 PM

Author Topic: What's setting free the magic smoke? Help please.  (Read 10811 times)

Re: What's setting free the magic smoke? Help please.
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 05:06:47 AM »
Anyone suggest a replacement for a HY - 200 -3437 - 460 A 8?
There are some used available, but not in the uk, so not readily available.
jim
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 05:45:27 AM »
HY - 200 -3437 - 400 A 8 actually I think.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 07:18:39 AM »
You need to know the spec's for your stepper motor and then just look around for one that is as good or better.
These days you can buy a new stepper rather cheap so maybe skip the used stuff.

I would suggest that you go to the Geco site. They have info on how to properly test their drive to see if it's blown.
Never plug or unplug a stepper when it's powered, or take readings on the wires when powered.
Also have a look at the different wiring configurations. Don't assume that color coding is correct, thus check continuity to confirm .  Cross sheck the leads to the coil windings to make sure there is no shorting.

If you don't know what your doing stop.....stop what your doing.
Stopping is way cheaper than blowing a drive or doing damage.

RICH
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 11:03:22 AM »
Thanks, Rich, I think I'll print this out and staple it to myself.
I have taken advice from cnc4u, who have a motor just for the job of replacing these, and on is on it's way. There's also two gecko's and a rabbits foot on its way, but i confess to some anxiety. Thanks for the help.
jim

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 09:00:02 AM »
Can I borrow the rabbits foot when you are through? We have all been there or a place like it. You are not alone. Is there an intermediate harness? Are you testing the steppers right at the stepper itself or at the end of a long wire/bundle? Any connectors inline?
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 09:32:19 AM »
im not interested in what youre doing to these geckos...im interested in what your doing to afford all these replacement geckos!

erm. as mentioned, sounds like the motors junk. get a new one. im happy with my chinese rubbish still :)

real grey smoke? that smells funny?

you arent just popping the internal fuse that you wouldnt suspect of being a fuse until you do a thorough check on the manual and the smoke is just descriptive language?

i didnt note which gecko you actually have, but as far as im aware the multi axis jobs are modular.... i could be utterly wrong, so dont quote me... pretty sure i can pop out each axis from the main BOB when i pop the covers... which was a long time ago ;)
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2014, 01:16:22 PM »
Hi HeadSmess,
I can't afford these Gecko's, hence the anxiety I mention. Well, not as a method of testing the motor anyway!
A new motor is in my posession, smaller and lighter than the original, as Rich suggested. This opens up possibilities for when there isnt' a rush on; I could swap the big one from the Z for this lighter one. There isn't much triangulation on the Z, and the weight of the motor at the top makes it pendulum a bit.
I was fooled last time when I eventually found some hidden fuses. this time I saw half a cup of grey smoke and heard two cracks. The first I didn't see, but I heard it, and, I am testing right at the motor. 8 wires 100mm long, straight in. Two phases are connected that shouldn't be. 201's
Right at the stepper Fastest1. There isn't much hope for it I'm afraid. The replacement cost less than the Gecko so...
Thanks for the replys guys. There's something heartening about communications from other members.
Jim

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2014, 06:20:35 PM »
To know you werent the only one to screw up? That does help. Dont worry for years I was sure that the Youtube machining Gods used different vises and fixtures for their videos, just because they always looked new and unscathed. Who hasnt inadvertently drilled or milled a hole into a vise, clamp or the bed of the machine for that matter?
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2014, 09:18:19 PM »
Who hasnt inadvertently drilled or milled a hole into a vise, clamp or the bed of the machine for that matter?

Me, but i will admit that hopefully it will never happen, but I am assuming that i also have a lot of time to go and only time will tell.  :D

RICH
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2014, 06:18:33 AM »
As with other things, one disturbance telegraphs down through through time magnifying as it goes. This all started with a Kress safety feature. When the brushes are halfway worn, there is a spring inside that pops out and that,s it. Stopped dead. 10mm in the wood. it saves the kress armature!
Jim