Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:27:00 AM

Author Topic: CSMIO I/O both Sink and Source  (Read 6504 times)

CSMIO I/O both Sink and Source
« on: May 08, 2014, 12:07:44 PM »
I believe the I/O can be used in both Sink and Source depending on how you wire. In the example (see attached pic) it shows both a NPN and PNP proximity switch being used. It's all about how you hook up the output. I believe the same could be done with a limit switch as well. You either hook the switch into the + or - side of the input. That is why each input has both connections. Hood correct me if I'm wrong.
Re: CSMIO I/O both Sink and Source
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 04:15:14 PM »
Hello Acrodoc,

I am not Hood but I can confirm for you that you can use both PNP and NPN transistor outputs because every single CSMIO input is fully isolated so inputs do not have a common ground or whatever call it.

So, there is absolutely no problem to either break the + or break the -.

If you have the signal as negative(0V), then wire to pins 14,15,16... and connect +24V from the power supply to pins 1,2,3. The opposite, if you have positive logic, then connect your sensor to pins 1,2,3 and put 0V at 14,15,16.

The only thing you should pay attention to is to not change the polarity.

My machine is wired exactly this way - 6 inputs are with pins 1,2,3,4,5,6 connected to +24V from power supply and I get the 0V to 14,15,16,17,18, 19 from limits switches.
The rest 6 inputs are positive logic -> emergency stop, alarm reset, etc...

In summary, connected whatever way you want (+ or -) but be sure to connect +(24V) to pins 1-12 and -(0V) to pins 12-25

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 04:50:35 PM »
If I recall Inputs can be but outputs cant.
Hood
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 05:33:57 PM »
Outputs seem to be source only(PNP).
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 05:36:35 PM »
Yes it looks like all the Outputs are 24VDC Source type. What is the possibility of driving 5VDC solid state relays?
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 05:39:42 PM »
Penkomitev have you purchased and used a CSMIO? Also looks like you may be in the eastern US

Chris
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 01:44:33 AM »
@Acrodoc,

yes, I have a CSMIO-M version with 4 axis and 125 kHz STEP/DIR and am currently wiring the electrical panel and the machine mechanics is being worked on too. As far as I see, you have checked the manual for CSMIO-A which is with analog control of the axes. But the principle in the inputs and outputs wiring is the same.

As for the 5VDC output relays, I am not sure if this is possible because you power the output chain with both 0V and 24V supply and you get the corresponding output signals from the output terminals.

Unfortunately, neither the IP-S, nor the IP-A models have relay outputs which are present on the -M version. They would have been very useful for your case. How many solid-state relays do you intend to operate?

You may ask CS LABS via Email about this but to me, it may be easier to replace the 5VDC with 24VDC solid state relays. It could just save precious time but of course it will cost more. I don't know your location(in the States or not) but here 24VDC solid-state relays don't cost too much.

Well, I am Eastern, however not the US, but Europe.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 01:47:49 AM by penkomitev »
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 12:25:06 AM »
Hi guys, I'm sorry to resurface this thread but I need help with confirming the same issue and this was brought up in the searches.

is it safe to use a different power supply for the inputs than the one being used for the CSMIO unit?
I have tested EStop by connecting it to pin 1 and pin 14 as follows:
+24V -> EStop switch -> pin 1
0V -> pin14

is that the same principle as what was discussed at top of the thread? thanks!
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 02:34:28 PM »
Noplace

Yes, as the CSMIO inputs are fully isolated, you may use an independent power supply for any or all of these, providing you do not exceed the 30V maximum limit.

The same applies to the CSMIO outputs: each group of 4 outputs may have its own independent supply if required. As an example, I use one group of outputs to drive a VFD for the spindle, and I use a 24V supply from the VFD for this group, thereby maintaining optical isolation between the CSMIO and the VFD. The other groups use the normal CSMIO supply.

Your eStop wiring is fine.

Allan