Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 03:24:54 PM

Author Topic: Acroloc with Fanuc 6MB to Mach3  (Read 5789 times)

Acroloc with Fanuc 6MB to Mach3
« on: May 08, 2014, 10:14:28 AM »
The project:
Acroloc  Machine with 12 tool ATC and Fanuc 6MB.  I have been playing with Mach3 and have purchased a PoKeys 56U and have made some prototype operator panels and have tested using the PoKeys.
The Yellow cap analog DC Fanuc servos are in good working order so I want to keep those. The Fanuc still runs but 16K of memory is a killer and max feeds are slow when doing engraving. So I’m trying to decide on the following.

KFLOP with KANALOG  Analog servo plenty of I/O  Not a lot of posts so how good is support?
                                                           Or
Vital Systems DSPMC   Analog servo but would also need from CNC4PC  ( M27, M28 & M29) for I/O   Lots of posts and good support?
                                                           Or
CS-Labs CSMIO-A    Analog servo plenty of I/O  Lots of posts but from overseas so how is support?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attached Pics  are the machine as it is now..

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
Re: Acroloc with Fanuc 6MB to Mach3
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 01:41:54 PM »
KFlop support is excellent. There's a yahoo group, and a forum on cnczone, where Tom Kerekes will often respond (often within hours!) to any questions you may have. The only drawback to the KFlop is that you have to do a little bit C coding to get it to do exactly what you'd like it to, however they provide plenty examples, and Tom will help you with anything you're not sure about.
If you do go the KFlop route, I'd also suggest adding a Konnect, as you quickly run out of digital IO just relying on the Kanalog (it only has 8 digital INs and 8 digital outs, which isn't that much by the time you start counting all the critical IO that needs to be handled directly by the controller).

CS-Lab stuff is good, however I'm not sure how good their support is. It's all configured through Mach, so it's not quite as versatile as KFlop, but it's perfectly capable for most normal Mach controlled machines. Hood will most likely be along shortly singing it's praises and filling in the details!

I can't comment on Vital, as it's been a long time since I even briefly looked at them.

One thing to bear in mind, is if you do use Pokeys with other controllers, is there will be a delay between pressing a button, and the controller reacting. Mach3 only has a 10Hz update rate, so there is potentially a 200ms delay before the controller gets updated to handle the button press, then the controller itself may take time to respond to the update.
However, this shouldn't be a problem in Mach 4 as it has a far higher refresh rate.
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 02:05:33 PM »
Thanks for your input. I like the fact that I can customize the controllers functions internally as with the Kflop. I don't like the fact that you can't do that with the CS-LAB but if you use a PLC then most of that will be done in the PLC. But now add the extra cost. With the Vital system you have to purchase the $300 activation per controller to write script for use internally. The thing I like about the PoKeys is the only wire I need to run from the back cabinet to the front operator panel is a long USB. Hopefully Mach4 will be out soon and all the update rates will be fast enough to use more external devices like the PoKeys. For the money the 55 I/O on the PoKeys is awesome.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 04:45:51 PM »
Support from CS-Lab can take a day or two to get a response but usually the response is a fixed plugin if a problem has been reported.

Not really sure what you are meaning with "customize the controllers functions internally"
The CSMIO has loads of I/O and it has its own internal modbus so you can use ports and pins in Mach or Brains or Macros/macropump to do what you want with the I/O

The downside for me of the PoKeys is it is 5v I/O, there was talk of them bringing oyut a 24v version but not heard about it for a long time.

"The thing I like about the PoKeys is the only wire I need to run from the back cabinet to the front operator panel is a long USB"
I do similar with the extra I/O module and the MPG module from CS-Lab, have them in my panel and just a canbus cable from them back to the main unit in my cabinet.

Hood
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 05:31:55 PM »
I agree The CSMIO has loads of I/O and it has its own internal modbus so you can use ports and pins in Mach or Brains or Macros/macropump to do what you want with the I/O
But does Mach3 update fast enough for things like Feed Hold for a machine like the Chiron FZ12s you have done. You use an external PLC and I assume you do all the decoding in your PLC ladder (nice job on the tool changer by the way) I do like the graphical ladder for me having done many Fanuc and Mitsubishi retrofits I am more familiar with it but VB script and the Brains are a powerful tool. I also like the way the CSMIO has all its Db plugs to Din Rail terminal strips ( clean look).  Also being in the states how is delivery with exchange rates and customs.

I'm looking for an alternative to Fanuc and Mitsubishi that has close to the performance and reliability.

For my first venture into Mach and until Mach4 comes out I just want to get something going and cost is paramount. I also have Resolvers not encoders on the Acroloc so any suggestions on that would be great.

Again thanks for your input.

Chris

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 05:58:18 PM »
I just used the PLC for the toolchange only.
Two reasons I did were
I already had the PLC lying around and with the amount of I/O on my changer (think about 40) I would have had to get an extra I/O module if I didnt use the PLC
But more importantly I can do ladder a lot better than VB especially as the ladder ended up 17pages of A4 paper when printed ;D

Feedhold is not something I use much but it is not fast, that is for sure, but dont really think its any worse than other controllers with Mach3 (Mach4 will be fast).
Reason I dont use feedhold is I tend to use my Feed Override Pot.

Resolvers wont be any use unless they go to the servo drives and the drives can output simulated encoder signals. Most modern servo drives work that way when using resolvers or sine/cosine encoders. The drives I use on the Chiron take the sine/cosine encoder input from my motors and output emulated encoder signals to the CSMIO.

Hood
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 06:02:56 PM by Hood »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 06:01:33 PM »
Oh sorry missed the cost/delivery question. I am in Scotland so cant say about the USA I am afraid but Russ (Overloaded) Brett (Chaoticone) and a few others should be able to help with that question.

Hood