Hello Guest it is April 17, 2024, 10:24:57 PM

Author Topic: Mill GCode Manual G12-G13  (Read 13542 times)

Mill GCode Manual G12-G13
« on: May 02, 2014, 04:21:27 PM »
This is an elegant way to quickly mill a circular pocket, Brian mentioned it at York.
Looks to be a small typo in the manual though.
Might keep this on the back burner for correction when convenient.
Sure is slick, thanks Brian,
Russ
 :)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Mill GCode Manual G12-G13
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 06:28:35 PM »
HIYA Russ I was just testing the G12/13  There seemed to be some quirks (;-)  I am not sure of the J parameter. Also not sure why the Start point for a pocket unless it includes Circular slots BUT then you have no control for Z if you are trying to that.

I would SEEM that the Z should be controlled from inside the G12 call otherwise you cannot cut a start circle without plowing through the interior material.

Also would be nice to have a Z stepdown. In the Fanuc world one normally uses the Circle pocket macro as I don't not recall a G12/13.

Just a Thought, (;-) TP
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 08:48:06 PM »
Hey TP,
  As I understand it, G12 and 13 are basically for cutting an O-ring groove (or snap ring).. one pass w/a woodruff key cutter for example.
The I will enter with X, the J with Y. This works well, I've used it a few times.

Adding the Q and P allows you to mill a quick counterbore or a spotface around an existing bore.

I don't think it's intended to be a full pocketing canned cycle, just an embellished grooving cycle.

Comes in handy, just position the X,Y and Z to the desired pos. before running it.

Thanks,
Russ

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 08:59:29 PM »
HIYA RUSS the NEW g12/13 is very different from the OLD G12/13  The old one was the oddball. The new one seems to use I with J to set the starting point ??? . A start point in deg offset from zero is the preferred way to do that, a lot easier on the old brain

IF you want to see a GOOD G12/13 look at the Haas version. It is top notch.

(;-0 TP
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 09:02:08 PM »
In the Fanuc world one normally uses the Circle pocket macro as I don't not recall a G12/13.

Just a Thought, (;-) TP

Hi TP,

I guess the macro would have to include an Island  ? to be the equivalent of  "g12 i6  q4 p1" ?

I don't recall if the Mach pocket wizards include islands.
Russ
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 09:37:57 PM »

IF you want to see a GOOD G12/13 look at the Haas version. It is top notch.

(;-0 TP

Checked the 2014 Haas manual .... that IS impressive ! Powerful stuff.

Thanks  :)
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 09:04:01 AM »
Terry this is just like the old one with the J vector added in. You move to the start point and do a G12/G13 . Fanuc never had the other options that I added. It was simply a small update to make a nice feature for the guys that hand code. The industrial version will get the full cycle when I get to it. Heck I was going to add the ramping / pocketing code from the wizard when I add it to the industrial version. 

have a look at the doc and tell if it is not working like that .. then we know we have a bug.. it is not a Haas

Thanks
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 10:09:31 AM »
HIYA Brian I never said it should be like Haas(but would be nice if it was(;-)) and Fanuc does not have a G12/13 it was removed years ago from fanuc controls they went to a sub program to do circular pocketing.

I was just lettiing you know the current G12/13 had some glitches/oddities. Your choice to fix them or not.

(;-) TP
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 10:26:53 AM »
TP, curious ... what glitches/oddities have you found ? (other than NOT duplicating another controls format)
Everything works exactly as described here for  me.
I find it very useful.
Thanks,
Russ

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 10:50:55 AM »
OK 2 quick ones. The manual states you can have a starting radius. This is obviously to do a circluar groove and leave a solid boss at the center. COOL but seeing as you have no Z axis control from inside the call HOW are you going to cut it ? the Move starts at the circle of rotation. You have to program the Z before the G12 call so it will cut to depth at the center point then move OUT to the start point position CUTTING thru the boss.

Start of cut offset around the radius with IJ . Not sure of that point as you are cutting a circular path 360 deg around the point. WHY does it matter where it starts ? If there is something in the way you are going to hit it anyway or anywhere you start (;-)  In MOST canned cycles you have the OPTION to where you start based on 0.000 deg(3 oclock) or offset that in DEGs positive (CCW) or Neg(CW).

Just a thought, (;-) TP