Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:30:59 AM

Author Topic: New RoutOutCNC  (Read 2730 times)

New RoutOutCNC
« on: April 30, 2014, 10:41:23 AM »
Hi guys, so I'm getting to grips with my new RoutOut CNC and I was wondering if you guys could help. I'm hoping I ask the questions in the correct order!

First off, the machine co-ords reset everytime I turn Mach3 off, is there any way for the software to stick with the same co-ords? The machine won't be moved unless Mach3 is on and running.

When the machine hits a physical limit Mach3 thinks it is still moving and so the co-ords keep going. I'm guessing this is cured by soft limits?

We're going to be using a jig to repetitively produce high volumes of machined plastic plates. For example we're machining 5 different plates, 100 of each and then in 6 months time will do similar amounts again (different designs to previous) for this size of plate. So I for speed I need to set the job zero off of the machine co-ords that I establish.

Lastly, how do I send the machine to 0,0,0? How do I send it to specific co-ords?
Some call me Jonny.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: New RoutOutCNC
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 11:53:56 AM »
Spending some time with the mach3 manual OR other CNC manuals that explain BASIC CNC and playijng with the machine to learn its operations is going to go a LONG way to helping you understand the process. It has a rather steep learning curve at times.

0,0,0   (;-) WHich one ? Machine coords, user coords, G28, G30 or Fixture offset(g54,g55,g56,etc), G10 ????? It all depends on what you need to do.

First thing to do is tell MACH3 where it really is in your 3d space. (Set the machine corrd base). It can be done several ways, Home switches, touching off to a preset spot on the table, manual touch off to the part, probing either the table or part.  Basically this allows Mach3 to know where it is compared to your table or part.  Once set it remembers where it is in Machine coords reguardless of what you do with offsets.etc. Once you turn OFF mach3 then it is lost and must be reset on startup.

Once done with that  NOW you deal in user coords. These area variable as to your needs.  TO machine you first establish the Point of origin. THis syncs your Gcode to a specific place on the table and when at this point the DROs will read 0,0,0.  Now you can shift this point on the fly with things such as Fixture offsets (G54,G55,G56,etc) This effectively MOVES the point of origin across the table to a new starting point and Mach3 keeps the record of where it moved to in case you need to go back there. You can also use G52/92 offsets to offsets the point on the table.

So you can set up several Fixture offsets for each part on the table and then reset the Point of origin to each part when it time to do the work.

For example I start in G54 and setup the original 0,0,0 and machine the first part. Then switch to G57 which shifts the Poin of Origin to the next part to machine and then machine that part.  THis way when you DRAW and Cam the part all the parts can be drawn to have the Point of orgin of the part to say the lower left corner of the part and you do NOT have to know where the part will be machined on the table. 

This can also be done with part offsetting with G52/92 or G10.

That is just a nutshell view of the operations . TIme,study  and practice will be your friend in this game.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 06:28:24 PM »
BR, is right, especially in regards to reading the manual. I do have a tip or two though.

In the General Config page within Mach there are 2 settings that need to be checked. "Persistent Offsets and Persistent DRO's" will allow Mach to close and reopen with the same reading. Unfortunately with Mach not being a closed loop system, if the machines axis were physically moved if the machine was off, Mach would have no way of knowing.

This brings up the ref all function. It will need to be verified or re reffed upon every start up. If the limit switches are installed and operating correctly a ref all will have each axis move onto its switch and zero out the user coordinates. All lights will go green. This is the only time Mach has verified its location. Soft limits will only work correctly if the distances are based upon available movement from the limit switch, not total available movement.

Now regarding the limit switches not working. This could be a few things. Are they enabled in the ports and pins/inputs? Each axis? Are you using the same switches for home switches? Then enable those too. The pins will have to be correct for where the switch is landed on the BOB. Its active state will need to be correct also. If you dont have limits, there are other procedures to ref all. 
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 05:04:50 AM »
Ok thanks for taking the time to reply guys. I suppose the question based on those answers is, how complex is the installation of limit switches and what would be the best/easiet set to install?

Long term I'll be looking into it more and more but at the moment I'm just getting the bare essentials to start it running on an upcoming job. To be honest I've pretty much got it sussed as I've got VCarve and Mach3 working fine and have machined some basic stuff. I just need to get a jig sorted and we've ordered a few bits to get the zeroes on the x and y. I think for the moment I can make sure I send to zero on all axis before I power down and even if I shutdown incorrectly to be fair it won't take TOO much effort to zero it again.

As I progress naturally I want to make it as easy as possible.
Some call me Jonny.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
New RoutOutCNC
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 08:02:11 AM »
The way I did prior to installing limit/home switches was to run each axis against its physical stop (in my case table all the way to the right, and back against the column and the Z against the top), hit ref all. It should be very repeatable. Some will chime in that the poles of stepper could be in a different location. This is true. It might be off a few steps. Still plenty accurate.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)