Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:10:02 AM

Author Topic: uc100 in windows 7 having brain farts  (Read 8576 times)

Offline ofg

•  29 29
    • View Profile
uc100 in windows 7 having brain farts
« on: April 29, 2014, 11:30:46 AM »
Hi guys. I had been running my uc100 from a windows 8 laptop, with no problems. Then, I got a windows 7 tower, did a clean sweep, updated all the drivers, set it all back to factory conditions,, and began running my g540, with uc100 through the win7 tower. Its been problematic! Several times the system has freaked out, where I am using he keyboard to manually move the steppers, and the motors start making that rough, jumpy noise, and going the wrong direction.  The only way to fix it has been to shut everything down, unplug the uc100, arrange the cable slightly different, plug it back in, and then fire everything up again. Im pretty sure its an issue of interference from the stepper cables, or the power cords. Strange that it was never an issue with the win 8 laptop. Im using the high quality shielded cables and db9 connectors that commonly are sold with g540 controllers.

Is there a better, more secure cable for the uc100? Any tricks to shield it? Would a clean download of mach3 possibly help? The way it is now, Im running my original copy of mach3 from the win8 machine, in the win 7 machine.

Thanks!
Re: uc100 in windows 7 having brain farts
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 02:24:25 PM »
Hi,

Make sure to disable the USB suspend function in your Windows 7. power management settings, otherwise Windows can remove the power from the USB port to save power which will make your UC100 device to loose the power and loose the settings.
From the symptons what you wrote this seems to be the problem.

Br, Balazs

Offline ofg

•  29 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 01:26:23 PM »
I recently downloaded a fresh copy of mach 3 onto my win 7 tower. It works a little b etter now. What really prompted me to do this is that I began having problems with circles being more like foot balls. I tried adding backlash comp, got worse. Then I decided to try and slow the steppers in motor tuning,, and my motor tuning button didnt work! I clicked it, and no pop up window for motor tuning. All other pop up windows for set up worked fine.

So, I got a fresh copy of mach3, replicaed my settings from my win8 laptop, and now mach is working better. I still have gotten 1 brain fart from the uc100 though. Im  pretty sure its an interference problem, cheap cables, wiring to close to each other.

To solve the circle problem, I just reduced feed to something like f4. on the circles. Nice and round.
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 01:52:31 PM »
The "motor tuning button did not work" makes me think that you have installed Mach3 uncorrectly.
I mean the motor tuning does not work if you did not install Mach3 with it's installer, but if you just copied the folder with the files to the computer.
My experience is that only this button does not work if you installed Mach3 with copying instead of installing it with it's installer,
I've seen this issue at a few customers when helping them resolving their installation problems.

If you did that too, I advice you to do not do the installation this way as Mach3 will have brain farts if you do not install it with an installer...

If not this is the case then please e-mail me at info at cncdrive dot com and send me your .xml settings file and tell me the Mach3 version you using and the plugin version and we will look into it to see what the problem might be.

Offline ofg

•  29 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 03:37:50 PM »
Your right, I had installed using copy/paste, and it worked well enough. Now, Its installed correctly. All buttons work.

Offline ofg

•  29 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 12:59:55 PM »
More brain farts. This time its traced down to db9 connector. Theres got to be a better way to do this. The db9 have been problematic sinse day 1. They loosen up, not enough room for a solid long term connection in each slot.  I think to figure out the resistor value, they are o/k, but once the trial and error stage is passed, then a good solder type connector is a better idea.
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 02:22:55 PM »
How do you mean db9 connector, the UC100 has no such connector...

Offline ofg

•  29 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 08:54:43 PM »
stepper motor connector.